PDA

View Full Version : new BW setup any other equipment?

glarior
07-18-2008, 05:03 AM
Hello, I am going to venture into a brackish water setup this weekend and wanted to clarify my equipment setup. I have a freshwater moray eel that needs brackish water setup soon so he won't die in my freshwater tank. I have very little money to spare at the moment (college student) and I am hoping you can help me out with some information. I know I need to cycle my setup for a good while but the sooner I start the better chance for my eel. I want to do a full water tank with live plants... rocks (and/or) wood. I am going for the most natural look

What I have laying around...
30g long tank (bigger later on this year or next)
I have two rena filstar xp1 filters
corallife light
glass lid

Items I need:
thermometer - no problem

Hydrometer or refractometer (best bang for the buck???) From what I read the hydrometer is the best one for the money but don't go too cheap. Am I right or wrong? Any recommendations

Substrate - Not much information on this but I am thinking simple sand substrate? What would you recommend? What is more realistic and good for live plants?

Protein skimmer - Do I have to have this or can I do with out?

Instant Ocean salt

Any thing else I am forgetting about?

Dave66
07-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Plants won't live in brackish water, so they are out. Buy a good refractomer; they are much, much more accurate than hydrometers and they don't go out of whack by salt build up like hydrometers will. A protein skimmer isn't essential, but it's very desirable, as it'll remove dissolved organics and keep the water Oxygenated.
Mangrove roots and stones would be the natural look.
I use Reef Crystals myself for marine water mixing.
You also need a good source of pure water to mix your salt with. With a college budget, I'd suppose distilled would be your source. You can't use tap, as the undesirables in tap water will accrue over time in your tank until disaster strikes.
Bare bottom would be the best bet, because it's easy to keep clean. If you have to have a substrate, coarse gravel would be best, as it too is easy to clean. Sand is not, and compaction is something you don't want to deal with.
Can't go cheap on anything to do with a marine tank, even a brackish one. Will bite you in the rear if you do, to your animals' cost.

Dave