PDA

View Full Version : Betta Breeding Woes

Blue Guppy
07-18-2008, 01:29 AM
I have bred bettas before but have never encountered this difficult female. Before I start off, I 'll give you guys a quick history of what's going on. First off, I bought a pair of bettas about 1 year++ ago. A blue male and red female. I separated them, conditioned them for a week on betta pellets, live brine shrimps and forzen blood worms. Afterwhich I introduced the pair in a 3 gallon tank, the male did his usual gill and fin flare ups and and started to build a bubble nest within the first 24 hours and tried coaxing the female to the nest. The female was stubborn (the female btw has already the visible stripes, her white node, and bursting with eggs) and was badly beaten up by the male to the point of almost loosing her eyes. so i had to separate them for a month. After the female recovered, I did the usual conditioning and introduced them to the tank. The pair did the identical thing, so I had to separate them again. I did this for about 3 times up to the point where I got so frustrated that I just placed them both in my 20 gal community tank. The male now about 1 yr and 6months old?? and the female maybe about the same age, live harmoniuously together. The female after all this time is now bulging with eggs to the point where she swims in an angular fashion. So just last week, I bought a young male betta and did the usual conditioning, the male built a bubble nest and tried coaxing the female and the same thing happened but only this time the female was not badly beaten but just received slight scale rips and a few torn fins but otherwise she is ok. So its been 3 days now that they are in the breeding tank and the way I see it the male is slowly giving up. I would occassionally drop frozen blood worms to keep their bellies full during the courtship stage.

My question is that do I give up on this stubborn female and get a new one or is there something that I am not doing right. Also a note, I don't have a heater in the spawining tank because its summer in our place and water temp is between 72 to 78 degrees.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ladyoutlaw50
07-18-2008, 01:32 AM
almost sounds like she is playing hard to get or just isn't interested at all -- maybe she has a headache LOL
I actually don't know -- we have a female now that is playing hard to get -- but getting closer and closer to the male each time.

graceluvsplatys
07-18-2008, 01:43 AM
I dont know, maybe she just didnt like either male. she is probably pretty old now, and shouldnt be bred anyways. i would get another female, and retire the stubborn ol girl.

kaoticice
07-18-2008, 03:01 AM
I always have the same problem in the spawning phase!! Its so ..... FRUSTRATING :c11:
To tell you the truth, its probably a good idea to get a new female if you think she's unable to do it. I've always had this problem, i buy my pair from aquabid that costed me 120 dollars altogether, but they never #@$!#$ spawn T__T. I even bought 10 females from pet stores, to see whether the male is ready or not. Nothing happen!!! Funny thing is, I was so frustrated that i place the proper pair in a 5L plastic container with nothing else except black water and left it there for a 5-6 days. Surprisingly i have fry o_O". This may sound cruel but that's the way the thai produce their bettas. From there on, I refine my own breeding strategies; my key to successful breeding is not to disturb them, keep away from them as much as possible (possibly not even feeding them during spawning), and to decorate your tank as natural as possible. An example of a perfect breeding tank is this tank from "cocoa_pleco"
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1444&d=1179377959

ehjsne
08-11-2008, 04:07 PM
I have no idea. I think you should just get a new pair and breed them. Your fishies are gettin kinda old.