PDA

View Full Version : Why No Bubble Nest???

graceluvsplatys
07-17-2008, 07:40 PM
i have had my male betta in the breeding tank, and my female in the hurricane lamp thing. the male is flaring at the female a ton, and the female ( though she is whitish) is showing light vertical bars, and her oviposotor is out.
i have had tem like this for about an hour, and the male has not even started a buble nest.
is this normal/ how long does it normally take?
what shoudl i add or do to make him more inclined to make one?
the temp is80 degrees, and the male seems to be losing interest at the female.

ladyoutlaw50
07-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Maybe he isn't ready or it may just take some time!! We have a 2nd pair that is very ready altho the female is hiding!! They will do it when they are ready -- I guess
wish I could give you a better answer -- maybe someone else will come along and be able to answer -- my bf is taking a nap today (his day off - guess he can) so can't ask him right now

graceluvsplatys
07-17-2008, 08:23 PM
ok, so you dont think i should release the female?

ladyoutlaw50
07-17-2008, 09:08 PM
he needs a bubblenest before they have any fun otherwise no place for him to put the eggs

graceluvsplatys
07-17-2008, 09:49 PM
yeah, i know, but some stes say that males sometimes wont get started untill the female is realeased

btw, he hangs around the cup, but he hasnt made bubbles yet... hoiping he will soon!

graceluvsplatys
07-17-2008, 10:20 PM
i am worried he will never do it.... he will try and like attack the glass, but he seems to not even think about a nest. the female is ready, but why no nest???
and then, he will bend his body around the glass as if yo embrace her, but i cant let them out casue there is no nest! what is an acceptable amount of time ?

krisco
07-17-2008, 10:43 PM
I have heard some instances where it can take up to 3-5 days before that bubble nest occurs and the bettas are ready. It may be rare, but it does happen. I've also heard some instances where they simply do not get ready the first time. Might have to seperate them from sight for a day or two and try again.

graceluvsplatys
07-17-2008, 11:12 PM
ok, i think he may have started.
i cut a circle out of a styrofoam cup, and put it in in case he didnt think that the cup was a good spot. i came home, and there was one HUGE bubble ( i think it may have been there when i put the cup piece down, and a cluster of bubbles about the size of a fishes eye. are these the bubble nest bits? i have neverr seen one before, so i dont know.

relsoft
07-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Bubble nests looks like a bunch of clumped translucent,shiny small bubbles the size of small fish pellets.
Anyways, some males don't like to make bubbles when the water is not "calm" so I would ditch the filter and the aeration for a while(maybe 2 days) to see what happens.
Good luck!

graceluvsplatys
07-18-2008, 01:45 AM
ok, he definitely is doing tyhe bubble nest!
i have seen him do it, blowing bubbles. i did turn off the filter, btw.
cant wait, he will probably be done by tmarrow...
funny, he did the nest ina flat piece of floating styrofoam, as opposed to the cup.

ehjsne
08-07-2008, 12:39 AM
It might take a few days for him to make it. Just give it time.

Gemstone
08-07-2008, 06:36 AM
mine make nests anywhere...under a leaf...in the corner of the tank....under some driftwood....depends on whatever takes their fancy...:c3: