PDA

View Full Version : Am I correct in assuming

Esquire
07-17-2008, 02:40 PM
That if i have 8 discus 3" in a growing tank of say 4 different strains that any 2 may become a breeding pair?

AND that the results could be anything from stunning to boring if they breed.

Is this fround on?

I want to grow fish for a 150 gal display tank first but would also like to try breeding down the road. The display tank comes first before the breeding attempts so I thought I would grow 6 of the same strains next year in hopes of a matched pair. But if I have 2 in the first batch that show bonding signs & are not matched, do you just let them. Possibly put them in a breeding tank at that point.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Yes, you are correct, that is exactly what can happen. The color strains in the hobby are a result of a massive amount of selective cross-breeding. The members of the Symphosodon genus are all sexually compatible and as a result they will pair up quite readily with each other. When a Discus form a pair, it is virtually impossible to break that pair, they are a monogamous species so once a mate is chosen and they have spawned, they will be forever joined. I have never heard of anyone successfully breaking a pair and matching the fish up with new partners.

Fishguy2727
07-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes, they will pair up regardless of coloration. They are not as picky as many people.

Most likely the brood as a whole will vary a lot, some being more attractive than others. I personally think that at that point they should be selected based on hardiness and health, not coloration.

My pair is a blue diamond and the female is a...white/reflective blue pigeon blood?