PDA

View Full Version : Apistos and snails

Doak6021
07-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Will my Apistogramma Cacatuoide TRs or the rummy nose tetras eat snails if I put some in my tank?

I am thinking about getting a few octos for some algae that is starting to take over. What kind of snails will help out with an algae problem?

alerzl33t
07-17-2008, 04:02 PM
I know Keyhole Cichlids are very good Snail Eaters :)
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/4742/snail_faq.html
Cheers

DCguy
07-17-2008, 04:19 PM
I have never had cacatuoides seek out and eat snails. However, I am sure that they snack on some of the tiny babies. The big limiting factor on snails in my Apisto tanks is the low hardness and pH. The lack of calcium in the water causes the snails to have very soft shells and newly hatched snails often can't build a shell at all. This really keeps the population down. In fact, I try to keep a couple of hard water tanks running as snail hatcheries so that I have some to supplement the tanks where they can't thrive. I have never had much trouble with snails eating eggs and since they don't easily reproduce I find them to be a great addition to my tanks.

DC

Incredulous_Ed
07-17-2008, 05:45 PM
As long as the snails are biggerthan the fishes mouths, you should be okay.

Fishalicious
07-17-2008, 06:30 PM
My Keyholes & Filamentosus will snack on snails but all the Apisto's don't even look at them twice... Olive Nerite Snails are fantastic algae eaters and won't touch any plants you have.

Jacko
07-18-2008, 10:03 PM
They should get along fine, my apisto viejita don't go near the snails I have in my tank (ramshorns and mts) though my black morpho tetras will.

Tolley
07-18-2008, 11:04 PM
The Apistos and rummynosse wouldn't. Also i think you mean otto short for ottocinclus.

Jacko
07-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Hmm... Octos... maybe octopus would be good algae cleaners. If only there were freshwater ones! But since they eat inverts you'd be stuck with one or the other. :wink: