PDA

View Full Version : Lathargic (sp?) Male Betta

labnjab
07-17-2008, 12:25 AM
For the past few weeks our Male betta, Freddie, doesn't seem as active as he use to be. We've had him just shy of a year and he was really active up until recently. He was always dancing and watching tv, but lately he just sits in a corner or in his cave and doesn't move. He still eats and has a good color, and the water chemicals are great. Is this just a sign he's getting old, or could something else be wrong. He's in a five gallon tank with just a snail and the temp. is around 76 which is what it always has been.

kaoticice
07-17-2008, 01:39 AM
ur temperature is on the low side, but that shouldnt be the main cause.
I'm guessing its SBD (Swimming Bladder Disorder) due to bloating.
My advice is to increase the temperature, and fast him for a couple of days and feed par-boiled peas. Another alternative is to add epsom salt in the tank.

labnjab
07-17-2008, 01:51 AM
he'll stay either on the top or bottom, and doesn't seem to have trouble swimming, when its feeding time he'll rush over to the food, but I'll try some peas (i just bought some as a treat for the goldfish) and get a heater (his tank light has been keeping the tank at its current temp). What is a good temp to keep it at? Also, how many peas should i give him?

kaoticice
07-17-2008, 01:57 AM
temp should be between 78 - 84. One pea should be enough. Dont forget to peel the skin off.

graceluvsplatys
07-17-2008, 03:12 AM
hope he perks up!

labnjab
07-17-2008, 03:15 AM
i do too. He use to dance when ac/dc or van halen came on the radio. Now he just seems lazy. I'll try the things suggested and give an update in a few days.

labnjab
07-18-2008, 03:00 AM
I put in a heater today and did a water change and gravel cleaning and he's starting to act like himself again, still not 100% but much better. Thanks for the suggestions.