PDA

View Full Version : Just looking for ideas/advice

Kaybear
07-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi this is my first time on here. I am going to be setting up a 55 gal tank soon and I was going to try to breed angelfish. I was planning on letting the parents raise them, mainly because I dont have room for anymore tanks. I am going to probably buy like 6 young angelfish and let them grow up together and hope they pair off. Once they do will they be okay staying in the same tank or would they be too agressive to where I would have to find new homes for some? I was wondering if those "clip on" tank dividers would work once the angels decide to lay eggs to keep the other fish out? Would I be able to run my tank on multiple spong filters because I know you cant have under gravel filters if you have babies? Would I be better off having angels shipped to me or buying them from a local pet store? I want a few different kinds of angels, is that okay or will they more than likely mix? I am looking for any advice or ideas anyone has on breeding, angels or the tank. Thanks!

Sounguru
07-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi this is my first time on here. I am going to be setting up a 55 gal tank soon and I was going to try to breed angelfish. I was planning on letting the parents raise them, mainly because I dont have room for anymore tanks. I am going to probably buy like 6 young angelfish and let them grow up together and hope they pair off.
Good Idea to get a pair I would even go for 8 to 10 because most Local LSF will take back the bigger angels.

Once they do will they be okay staying in the same tank or would they be too agressive to where I would have to find new homes for some?

I would rehome all but the pair #1 aggresion #2 you are gonna need the space for the young to grow out.

I was wondering if those "clip on" tank dividers would work once the angels decide to lay eggs to keep the other fish out?

See above statement

Would I be able to run my tank on multiple spong filters because I know you cant have under gravel filters if you have babies?

Yes you can run on 3 or 4 sponge filters

Would I be better off having angels shipped to me or buying them from a local pet store?

Depends on the LFS

I want a few different kinds of angels, is that okay or will they more than likely mix?

They will interbreed could end up with some weird color patterns or some really cool fish...

I am looking for any advice or ideas anyone has on breeding, angels or the tank. Thanks!

Breeding Angels is not as easy as some would like you to believe... Once they spawn I have had Angles lay another batch of egss within 2 months and eat the first batch since they saw them as a threat. It is best to breed angels with mutiple tanks if you are really wanting to raise a lot of batches. If not at least a few grow out tanks will help keep the survivial rate up.

I would really dig in and do a lot of research before taking this on if you are wanting to do mutiple batches. If you are wanting to do it for your own enjoyment then you can in the 55 but you will have to sell or give away babies as time goes on if your parents will not eat the eggs the first 9 times they lay.:ezpi_wink1:

Kaybear
07-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Yea I was just doing this for personal enjoyment, just to see if I could do it. My mom has had a few livebearers breed and the baby will live for about a week or so and die off. I have always loved angels and wanted to try it. I was already checking around with friends and family just incase I do decide to do this and actually get some to live if they would take some. I just cant wait until I get a house of my own so I can have a whole room dedicated to this.. there is just no room anywhere else here and I just took up the last space in my room for the 55 gal and I already have another 20 gal in there. Thanks again!!

Sounguru
07-16-2008, 11:42 PM
No problem I used to raise angels for sale back in the day... It is demanding but very rewarding.