PDA

View Full Version : Algae problem

donb1959
12-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi all new to the forum. Glad i found ya! I've had a fresh water aquarium for as long as I can remember. For the past 5 years I haved owned my own business and time is not as plentiful as it once was. My tank is a 10 gallon. I've had this tank for 10 years. The problem is I don't know what to do to keep the maintenace to a minumum. It seems as if the tank is needing cleaning every 2 months or so, and at this point I'm wondering if I'm better off with getting a new (larger) salt water aquarium.

Are salt waters as difficult to maintain once there set up? Or maybe you guys can suggest what I can do to clean this one less.

Lady Hobbs
12-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Every two months? It should be cleaned weekly and at most 10 days. You have to remember the water is very condensed in a small tank and needs more frequent cleanings.

jman
12-17-2006, 12:06 AM
Try doing it weekly you'll get used to doing it after 2or 3 times. Light time matters as well cut it off when your sleep at night works for my friends because they have that problem to.

Abbeys_Mom
12-17-2006, 02:53 AM
If I read the post right, it's not water changes or gravel clean, it's algae that needs to be clean out of the tank. Is it green algae or brown algae? It's different to treat depending on the kind. I think both freshwater and saltwater have there set of challenges. I have never had a saltwater tank, I can't afford the initial costs to set one up.

jman
12-17-2006, 03:04 AM
although it is for algae - algae becomes hard to grow with consistent water water changes at least for me it is. Plus the light is what the algae feeds off of so the light being reduced doesn't give it anything to grow off of.

donb1959
12-17-2006, 03:57 AM
If I read the post right, it's not water changes or gravel clean, it's algae that needs to be clean out of the tank. Is it green algae or brown algae? It's different to treat depending on the kind. I think both freshwater and saltwater have there set of challenges. I have never had a saltwater tank, I can't afford the initial costs to set one up.
Yes, it's green algae. Even when I was cleaning the tank once weekly, the green algae would start to take a foot hold. I know that 10 gals are a handful but I would like to keep the algae down. Would a plecostomus help to keep the tank cleaner? Thanks.

jman
12-17-2006, 04:10 AM
the plecostomus would help a tad but do you have space?

donb1959
12-17-2006, 05:02 AM
the plecostomus would help a tad but do you have space?
Sorry guys I said I have a 10 gal, it's actually a 20 gal, but the problem still remains, also would an under water filter help? I also have the outside power, and the submerrsive filter that you put the AC and cotton into.

Lady Hobbs
12-17-2006, 06:12 AM
Increasing aeration may help with that.

Danny M
12-17-2006, 10:12 AM
If I may drop in, donb,

Instead of Pleco why don't you consider the Ancitrus sp.?
The Plecostomus sp. (there are 400+ species), cold grow very large, well over 15 in, and, many of them, are not even herbivores, despite what most people think.
The Ancistrus, on the other hand, is much smaller, and eating most types of algae.
I have one of each in my aquarium, and I can tell you that, while the ancistrus is thoroughly cleaning all the rocks, plant leafs, and windows, the pleco is only grazing on his big log.
Or, depending on your available space, you should think bringing in some Otocinclus - these are very small fish, and very active algae eaters
They are existing on the market algicides, but I would not recommend them, despite all the manufacturers say, that they are all fish safe, plant safe, and so on... The aquarium is a tiny part of nature, and all chemical aids must be kept to a minimum, in my oppinion. I only use tank inhabitants to help me with the cleaning.
As in nature, you should try to fill in all the niches, using bottom feeders and invertebrates to clean the bottom, algae eaters to get rid of algae, and all there's left for you to do, is the siphoning of the gravel and some ocasional use of magnetic brush on the front glass.
About filtration, any type of filter is good, as long as it keeps the water parameters ok. I would not use, though, the undergravel filter, it is too tricky, its failure could mean total catastrophe.

jeffs99dime
12-17-2006, 01:38 PM
hi there. welcome to a.c. for algae problems, you could get some otto cats. they're the best algae eaters around. i have three of them --just a tip.--jeff
also here's a link on them.-- http://www.mikesfishing.com/pleco/otto_cats.htm

Abbeys_Mom
12-17-2006, 02:24 PM
If you don't want another fish (we don't know what you have in your tank) and you don't have any plants, you could always get a apple snail. They reproduce like mad, they are neat to watch and will eat you algae. They are not as efficient as other algae cleaners, but in smaller tanks they will keep your algae manageable.

donb1959
12-18-2006, 01:06 AM
Thank you all for the great advice. Can these Otto cats be found at most pet supply stores? I spent 3 hours yesterday cleaning my aquarium after viewing how nice the aquariums looked here. This site has inspired me to become once again actively interested in my aquarium.

Do any of you use that magnetic scrubber I've seen, are they effective?
Thanks again.

Abbeys_Mom
12-18-2006, 02:11 AM
I use one, they work great. Just watch your fingers, those magnets are really strong and tend to snap together really hard.

jeffs99dime
12-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Thank you all for the great advice. Can these Otto cats be found at most pet supply stores? I spent 3 hours yesterday cleaning my aquarium after viewing how nice the aquariums looked here. This site has inspired me to become once again actively interested in my aquarium.

Do any of you use that magnetic scrubber I've seen, are they effective?
Thanks again.

ottos can be found found in most stores as they are very common.