PDA

View Full Version : Will these guys do ok together?

oldhead
07-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Ok I have a 65 gallon tank and at some point in the near future I would like to add some shrimp. I'm kicking around the idea of some skunk cleaners and some peppermint shrimp. Do you guys think that there will be any compatability issues here? If not then how many would you say I could keep without running into problems. I plan to eventually start keeping corals (down the road) and plan to house about 7 fish in total. At the moment the tank is home to a pair of ocelaris clowns, pair of blue green chromis, hermits and some snails. As usual thanks for the input.

kaybee
07-16-2008, 03:54 PM
What type of corals do you plan on acquiring in the future?

I ask this because there are some shrimp which are sold as "peppermint shrimp" but are actually non-reef safe imposters, such as the near-identical Rhynchocinetes durbanensis & r. uritai.

Unless you or your LFS can verify the peppermints are genuine peppermint shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni), purchase them with caution. I'd only trust an LFS's opinion if they sold both genera and could accurately point out the differences between the two.

What other three fish do you think you'll add? Small bio-loads work extremely well in reef tanks, don't feel obligated to increase the quantity of fish you currently have when you upgrade.

oldhead
07-16-2008, 04:46 PM
My tank is still very young and there are some other things that I still need to purchase for it. So I'm not exactly sure what corals I'll keep later as I have not had the time to do my homework on them yet. This is where I really wanted to slow down and take some time to see what I'm able to keep best. I would like some of the more popular ones if I can help it though. Like Kenya Tree, hammers, frog spawn and perhaps some polyps. But ultimately it really boils down to what my tank wil be able to host as I'm trying to keep my set up pretty basic for now.

I have heard of people getting something other than pep shrimp when they set out to buy them. I'm going to take a while in shopping for these to make sure that I get what I really purchase. I have a friend that lives a little while away that might be able to help me ensure I get the right ones also. Should I introduce all shrimp at the same time when I'm ready? As far as fish go I know I'd like some Anthias possibly a pair. And then maybe 1 larger fish if I can find one that's reef safe and somewhat docile. I've been looking at Tangs and the like but I have to see how that one goes (tank size). Other than that I don't have plans to stock too heavily unless something wierd happens.

If you see anything that doesn't jive let me know as I'm still trying to piece everything together here. Thanks for your reply.

spudbuds
07-16-2008, 05:43 PM
It's not necessary to introduce all shrimp at the same time. However, some are more social then others. The peppermint shrimp like to be in groups, so if you only get one, you'll likely never see it.

On your fish stocking, keep in mind that size does not always determine impact to bio load. Anthias require a lot of food and therefore have a larger impact on your bio load then other similar sized fish. BTW, anthias are very cool fish (but very sensitive). I have a trio of Ignitus that I really enjoy.

- Bill

oldhead
07-16-2008, 05:52 PM
It's not necessary to introduce all shrimp at the same time. However, some are more social then others. The peppermint shrimp like to be in groups, so if you only get one, you'll likely never see it.

On your fish stocking, keep in mind that size does not always determine impact to bio load. Anthias require a lot of food and therefore have a larger impact on your bio load then other similar sized fish. BTW, anthias are very cool fish (but very sensitive). I have a trio of Ignitus that I really enjoy.

- Bill

I was thinking of adding the shrimp in at least pairs. Possibly even trios if I could do it safely. I have seen some pics of your Anthias and that's what initially had me intersted in them. I'm aiming at keeping the fish load small and the cuc larger if possible to help balance out. There are so many fish though that I get lost sometimes trying to pick them out. I'm a beginner with this by every stretch of the word so I'd like something hardy but still colorful and active in the display. Any suggestions? Also, I hear that Pep Shrimp will eat Aiptasia, is this true? I have a small outbreak of about 5 or so in my tank that came in on some aquacultured rock. I have some Joe's Juice but they're kinda hard to reach.

spudbuds
07-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Shrimp don't add too much to your bio load, so adding 3 at a time will be fine.

Anthias aren't the hardiest of species. Once you get them eating and acclimated, they do okay. Lyretail are probably the hardiest, but they get a little large. There are a bunch to choose from.

- Bill