PDA

View Full Version : Tang tank - 55gal

krisisdog
07-16-2008, 09:29 AM
What are some Tangs I should consider keeping in a 220L 4ft?
I've found a few on the net (livefish/bayfish) that are interesting, just after some opinions on them and others that would be suitable.
Max size is 10cm, and the less aggressive the better.

Julidochromis dickfeldi
ornatus
Neolamprologus leleupi
cylindricus
brichardi
"Lamprologus" ocellatus
multifasciatus
Neolamprologus leleupi

The Wedge
07-17-2008, 12:06 AM
dickfieldi are less aggressive than ornatus...I have some ornatus myself and they are rather mean. You could go with a compressiceps species like Calvus, shell, gold head, they are slow growing. Brichardi are pretty...but a little on the aggressive side as well. I love Duboisi and T. Moorii myself,...Just can't put them in a 30 gallon...Moorii need at least a 55-75 gallon. I have Julidochromis ornatus and a pair of Black Calvus. Caudopunctatus are very cool as well. I had Multifasciatus for a while. They were cool but IMO boring. They excavate the sand which is cool but everytime you walk by they hide in shells. Your tank...ends up looking baron. For a 220 L I would avoid multi's...my two cents anyway. Ask someone if Moorii can be put in a tank with a 4 ft. footprint...It would be a swweeeeettttt tank.

krisisdog
07-17-2008, 03:56 AM
I was thinking of getting Cyrtocara moorii for my 6ft, but I really want small cichlids in my 4ft - but not dwarfs like blue rams/bolivians etc. I've got some kribs that'll probably go in the 4ft as well.
I dont mind if the multi's hide when I walk past, the tanks in my bedroom so I normally watch them laying in my bed lol.
I think some dickfeldis, multi's, brichardis and lelupis would be sweet.

The Wedge
07-17-2008, 04:53 AM
I think the multi's will be terrorized by the other 3 species...but maybe not.

toddnbecka
07-17-2008, 05:13 AM
Brichardi aren't a community fish unless you're only keeping one sex. A spawning pair will eventually take over the entire tank at the expense of the other fish. Dickfeldi and leleupi are a bit too aggressive for multi's unless a good-size colony of them is established before the larger species are added. Even then you may have problems, but your mileage may vary.
L. buescheri is a species similar to julies (general shape, pattern, etc.) but not quite as aggressive IME. I have a spawning pair w/some fry in a 55 with a colony of multi's. Also a group of S. lucipinnis catfish, and some juvie V. moori that may have to be moved when they mature.

krisisdog
07-17-2008, 05:47 AM
Synodontis are stupidly expensive here(try $80+), so theyre a no go.
I've got 2 young pleco's (<2") to go in, maybe some loaches as well.

I think I'll try and get a bunch of multi's first, then add some dickfeldis and something yellow my lfs has, no idea what they are but they resemble lelupi's.

The Wedge
07-17-2008, 06:38 AM
I think a Julidochromis tank will be more aesthetically pleasing than the multi's. When I think of multi's I think of a 20 gallon tank that is too small for other African Cichlid's. I was all about the shell dwellers...and waited a month to get some multi's...and then traded them for some Caudopunk's about 4 weeks later...which I in turn traded for some Calvus. My tank is also in my bedroom and the multi's just didn't do it for me. I know they are the smallest cichlid and what not...IMO...I thought they were lame...and I was wasting tank space. There are many other Tang's that I personally like a lot better. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I will not rob you of the choice...you might enjoy them. I don't know...your perception is probably totally different. It was funny how they decorated all my Anubias with sand...and certain rocks were also decorated as well. The whole engineering savvy thing the fish have was interesting...but short lived for me. Cheers and good luckthumbs2:

krisisdog
07-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Hopefully I can find some multi's :S. My LFS are all lame-o.
If I can get em, I will.
I'm set on some dickfieldis (I like them and I CAN GET THEM WOO!!!), and some yellow things.. will find out what they are asap.

I just did a search on Caudopunk's - they look pretty decent.
Hardest thing is me being able to find any thing I like though, I've looked at the stock list of wher emy lfs order form and there not overly thrilling. Plus the online fish shops dont have them either. wooo....oo..

toddnbecka
07-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Try some local forums or clubs (google searches)
Here's a potentially helpful link: http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57
One more that I've noticed folks from Oz listing on occaisonally: http://www.shelldwellers.com/index.php