PDA

View Full Version : Pleco with velvet... or is it camouflage?

Slinky_Bass
12-16-2006, 07:30 PM
This evening at feeding time I my usually secretive pleco was out and about with the loaches. On the middle of his back I noticed a largish, slightly lighter patch of skin with a slight yellowy/orange cast to it. At first I freaked out and thought it must be velvet, but after reading up on the other symptoms of velvet I don't think so at all.

Do you guys think that he might have been camouflaging himself (can plecs regulate their skin colour ??) because he was in lighter terrain, or do you think I may have something to worry about? Other than his lighter patch he's looking good, he's got a nice plump little belly and his fins are proudly fanned. From what I can tell I think he's a marbled sailfin plec (L022 ??). Any advice/ similar experiences/ words of pleco wisdom would be appreciated :)

Abbeys_Mom
12-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Pleco's can often change their colour, especially in bands. Mine does it all the time.

jman
12-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Pleco's defenitly do change colors a lot i just wonder if it is because of there mood?

Neithan
12-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Their mood, the surface they're on and stress is what makes them change colours. One of the most frequently asked questions over here seems to be why someones bristlenose has lighter spots on it all of a sudden. Perfectly normal.

Slinky_Bass
12-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys, that's just what I needed to hear :). I had an idea it might be camouflaging but I just wanted to make sure.