PDA

View Full Version : Ballon Molly's

pinknic
12-16-2006, 06:30 PM
I have two ballon Molly's and they must have had babies as I have one left and I didn't know what it was at first but I'm pretty sure it is a molly. My question is how can I tell when the female is pregnant, and also how can you tell which one is the female??

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Abbeys_Mom
12-16-2006, 06:49 PM
The female will have a rounder appearance. Depending on the colour, you may even be able to see the eggs.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/MacawCichlid/BM.jpg

pinknic
12-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks, one is black and the other is orange, so I can't see through them, but they both look round and fat, mind they never stop scavaging for food!!

Abbeys_Mom
12-16-2006, 07:56 PM
They could both be female. Once mated the females can keep having babies for 7 months.

pinknic
12-16-2006, 08:15 PM
That could explain something's, I did have another ballon molly, it was a speckled colour but I couldn't tell you whether it was a male or female. it died about 2 months ago. That's if the baby is actually a molly, it is all white and about a centermeter from mouth to the end of its tail, i'm trying to get a photo of it to see if you might know what it is??

At Last I have some photos, but they are from my phone, so not very clear, but any help will be great!!:help:

Shanni
03-19-2007, 05:36 PM
I have bred alot of mollies. You definitely have females, but I can't make out the white one, looks like it could be a male.

Males anal fins are pointed and more together, females are big and fan out

The black and orange ones are females

Shanni
03-20-2007, 03:14 AM
You'll see a gravid spot for sure, unless they are a black molly, then I go by my next paragraph.

Also for telling when it is close to the mollies due date there anal will become almost square looking around the hole and sometimes that means they will have the babies the same day or they are starting, I have always been able to tell when my mollies will be close to their due date, and I have never been off by less then a day.