PDA

View Full Version : How much to feed?

Bytor
07-15-2008, 07:58 PM
I have 10 neon tetras and 5 tiger barbs at the moment. How much should they be fed? I'm currently feeding them twice a day with a flake food. I know your supposed to give them enough that they actively feed for a couple of minutes. But is there a specific amount? I dont want to over feed them as to my inexperienced eye they always appear to actively feeding. Thanks.

Dave66
07-15-2008, 08:09 PM
I have 10 neon tetras and 5 tiger barbs at the moment. How much should they be fed? I'm currently feeding them twice a day with a flake food. I know your supposed to give them enough that they actively feed for a couple of minutes. But is there a specific amount? I dont want to over feed them as to my inexperienced eye they always appear to actively feeding. Thanks.

Fish you have are all quick eaters, so no more than they can finish in less than 30 seconds. They will always act starving, especially the barbs, but they aren't. They just actively look for more food when food is discovered. Remember, in nature, most fish don't eat every day. Tiny amounts two or three times a day are the rule.
And you should switch to pellets instead of flakes, as there's more concentrated food value in pelleted food and far less mess than flakes. Just FYI, I feed Hikari Micro Pellets to my tetras.

Dave

Ryuu
07-15-2008, 08:09 PM
No there really is no perfect amount, as one will always go a little hungry, I would say about two pinches, then if they eat it all within a minute and a half, I would put one more pinch in. Remember there stomach is the size of their eye

Aye nm listen to dave

Bytor
07-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

NickFish
07-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Like Dave said, there really is no exact amount.

You just learn overtime with experience exactly how much your fish need. But 30 seconds twice or three times a day is a good guideline for those fish.