PDA

View Full Version : my betta breeding:

graceluvsplatys
07-15-2008, 07:49 PM
I am gonna do a complete log of my attmpt to breed bettas. Tell me if i am getting stuff wrong, experts.

I got the following for setup:
mini filter by pennplax
50 watt heater
a cave and a few plants
half a styrofoam cup
I put all this in my 7g breeding tank, withthe cup on one side, and all the other junk on the other side.
TOTAL COST: 31 bucks ( i shop around)
I have my two bettas, i wish i had a good camera, but i dont, but the female is white with royal blue fins, and the male is white with rainbow fins. both are veils, i dont want to blow a bunch on my first try.
I started conditioning immediately on my male, but i have already have done a week on my female. she is a little fat, and her white dot is showing. I assume this is responding to my male.
the male is flaring like crazy at the female,and she will do it back also.
I am having issues with the male, he wont eat anything. Well, maybe i'm used to my female who can and will eat everything.
I will do another post when i get the breeding tank regualted, and i finish conditioning.

graceluvsplatys
07-16-2008, 06:21 PM
good signs from the male and the female. the male ate some bloodworms, and they flare at each other, the female swims tail up. I am gonna try to go to petco today to get a java fern, and some liquifry, or frozen brine shrimp.
neither fish will eat tubifex woms. i am having a real hard time waiting, as the male looks ready to go, and the female is full of eggs. However, i have to be patient. People say not to breed pet store bettas cause ya dont know their bloodlines, but i find that really fun. who knows how the babes will turn out?

ladyoutlaw50
07-16-2008, 06:24 PM
make sure the male has a good bubblenest ready!!

graceluvsplatys
07-16-2008, 08:45 PM
oh, yes. when should i put him in the breeding tank, to start? cause i can put the females bowl beside it... i dont have any floaters in his bowl currently, so he hasnt started.

ladyoutlaw50
07-16-2008, 10:03 PM
He should be in the breeding tank by himself at first with the cup so he can get the bubble next going -- he should be able to see the female -- make sure the water temp is at least 80 or so -- that is the temp that my bf's betta's seem to like!
Once you see that bubblenest and it looks good -- go ahead and put the female in with him -- it can get rough so keep an eye out!
Good Luck

graceluvsplatys
07-17-2008, 04:03 AM
yeah, but should i condidition him first? i mean, before i put him in?

relsoft
07-17-2008, 02:31 PM
If you're male makes bubbles and about 8 months old or so, then he's "conditioned". Though better be prepared to care for the fry. If you're successful, you can feed the fry egg yolks for 2 weeks before feeding them crushed flakes. My last breeding netted me about 100 fully grown(juvenile) bettas so I had to sell 'em to the LFS.
Here's a vid of them:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-CugkiPcnaI

graceluvsplatys
07-17-2008, 04:07 PM
ok, ill see.

graceluvsplatys
07-17-2008, 06:16 PM
ok, todayy, i acclimated my female and male to the breeding tank. so far, so good. the male is flaring and acting like a crazy man, and though the female is whitish, i can see the faintest vertical bars. the male has not yet built a nest, but i put a styrofoam circle on the water just in case he prefers that.
i hope he builds the nest! i will updat when he does. ( cross your fingers!)

graceluvsplatys
07-18-2008, 02:10 AM
update:
the male is starting his nest! i see him drink in some air, and spit out little bubbles! the funny thing is, is that i put in a syrofoam circle,a dn he chose to build his nest on that, rather than the cup. i removed the cup, it was just taking up space.

kaoticice
07-18-2008, 02:47 AM
ur on the right track :thumb:

graceluvsplatys
07-18-2008, 02:55 PM
ok: the male doesnt seem to be keen on actually making it big. thers only a few dozen bubbles, and occasionally he will go over andblow one or two, bt mostly he dances around the female. should i release her yet, and see if he statrs?

ehjsne
08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I think you should condtion them both at once. And if possible a 10 gallon tank is better. 7 will do tho.