PDA

View Full Version : re-homing pleco to an outdoor koi pond

goldenbarb
07-15-2008, 07:24 PM
I've got a 3 inch pleco in a 10 g tank. He's doing fine but I know it needs a bigger home. My friend said she would take it for her outdoor koi pond. There is already a rather large pleco in there. My question is, how do you acclimate an "indoor" pleco to the outdoor koi pond. I live in south florida so the weather is usually warm.:confused:

angelcakes
07-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I've got a 3 inch pleco in a 10 g tank. He's doing fine but I know it needs a bigger home. My friend said she would take it for her outdoor koi pond. There is already a rather large pleco in there. My question is, how do you acclimate an "indoor" pleco to the outdoor koi pond. I live in south florida so the weather is usually warm.:confused:
and how is weather in winter..........

C-Dub
07-15-2008, 09:00 PM
and how is weather in winter..........

The weather in the winter in Southern Florida never gets too cold, usually at least in the high 70's in winter. I'm more worried about the temperatures in the summer as it can get extremely hot down there.

I am assuming that the pond owner has some sort of chiller set up??? Otherwise I advise you to maybe find a better home.

As far as acclimating from inside aquarium to outside pond, I would guess it would be like any other acclimation... If it were me I would take extra time as it appears to be a major change, and just do what you normally do. (Float bag, add water slowly, repeat, net out of bag and into pond etc. etc.)

Red
07-15-2008, 09:02 PM
IMO it depends on the pleco... there is a chance he cant stand the heat but he could also be fine i owuld give it a try...

toddnbecka
07-16-2008, 05:39 AM
Common pleco's are bred commercially in outdoor ponds in FL. As long as there are some sort of floating plants or water lilies for shade it should be alright. As for acclimating, check the water parameters and temperature. If they aren't radically different just turn the critter loose and it will be fine.

goldenbarb
07-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to check the water and temp. Yes, the pond is shaded and has a screen so that birds don't feast on the fish.