PDA

View Full Version : How to tell female from shortfinned male bettas?

graceluvsplatys
07-15-2008, 01:33 PM
I know i am posting like crazy in this forum, but i just had a weird thought, that maybe my female is a shortfinned male. how do you tell the difference?

kaoticice
07-15-2008, 01:42 PM
At times even pro's cannot determine 100% sex them correctly. The best way to sex them is to see a white lump at the bottom of the stomach for a females. I use to have one male that live in a female tank for about 1 year before a friend of mine told so.
Generally, males looked more robust and bigger in size compared to female. Female also gets egg-bounded so if you have them together in the tank, you probably could spot the difference of their tummy size. Males blew bubble-nest frequently whilst female do it less frequently. Males also tent to have longer pectoral fins.
maybe other people have other methods to distinguish between them better.

graceluvsplatys
07-15-2008, 02:21 PM
ok, mine is female! she has never blown a bubble nest, and i can see her ovipositer on her stomcah.
thanks!

ehjsne
08-14-2008, 02:52 PM
I think that the only way to tell would be if they have the white spot under them. around thier stomache. That is where the eggs come out. and (not the best way tho) if it blows a bubble nest it is [most likely] a male.

invadertoast
08-15-2008, 12:04 AM
The ovipositor is definately the easiest way, however I did end up with a short finned male thinking he was a female until I got him home and realized how fiesty he was (sitting in a cup next to a female i bought the same day.) I thought I could see a tiny egg spot but I really wasn't sure, then I looked at all my other girls and realized I definately had a boy. His body was a little differently shaped, and now that I've had him for a couple months and he's had time to grow, he's way more robust looking. Here's some comparison pics, sorry for the crappy quality but you can really see the difference in body shape.

Short Finned Male:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/IMG_2439.jpg

My biggest female (I think she's even a little bigger than him)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/IMG_2417.jpg

Jacko
08-15-2008, 01:51 AM
While the ovispitor is definitely easier than the rest, sometime a young plakat male will have a false-ovispitor to help protect himself but as time goes on he loses it and becomse the little PK male you want (or didn't, depending on the circumstances).

Other, not as certain ways are extended ventrals and longer fins and a large gill beard, females have them but they are small, when a male flares his beard will be really long and very noticable. Try holding a mirror up to him/her.

Kula
08-15-2008, 02:03 AM
My biggest female (I think she's even a little bigger than him)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/IMG_2417.jpg
OMG, is she a pink betta?? :l23:

invadertoast
08-15-2008, 12:31 PM
OMG, is she a pink betta?? :l23:

Lol - actually she's more of a peachy orange color, I found her in the way back of all the betta cups at Petco one day and was so excited because I've always wanted an orange betta. Sometimes she looks more pink, sometimes more orange, either way she stands out like crazy, lol

invadertoast
08-15-2008, 12:33 PM
...sometime a young plakat male will have a false-ovispitor to help protect himself but as time goes on he loses it and becomse the little PK male you want (or didn't, depending on the circumstances).

Wow, that's very cool and definately explains why my male almost looked female when I got him. I never knew they could have that!

Kula
08-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Lol - actually she's more of a peachy orange color, I found her in the way back of all the betta cups at Petco one day and was so excited because I've always wanted an orange betta. Sometimes she looks more pink, sometimes more orange, either way she stands out like crazy, lol
Well, even though she isn't pink, she's very pretty! I wish I could find a female betta like her! Unfortunately my Petco seems to only sell dead female bettas :smad:

Jacko
08-16-2008, 02:00 AM
Wow, she looks and sounds so much like a female I was looking into getting at Petco the other day, except the one I saw wasn't a crowntail. Got my mom convinced to buy her for my 38 gallon and we get back there and there's a lady and a little kid that just put her in their cart with a male betta, 2 african dwarf frogs, 3 neon tetras and a small 1.5 gallon "fancy" fish bowl.
:(
I wanted to steal her so bad.

I've been on the lookout for a plakat forever, calling the LFS, they say they have them I get in there and they're out, searching through the females at petco and petsmart to try and find any that look manly-ish and the only place I haven't tried yet is WalMart and I've not been into the fish section in a walmart yet and don't plan to since I don't want to walk out of there with a dozen rescued bettas. My mom would kill me.:hmm3grin2orange: