PDA

View Full Version : betta lost his color

teach
07-15-2008, 03:44 AM
I have a male betta in my homemade tank (about ten gallons). He has been in there for about 2 weeks now and 4 or 5 days ago i added 3 white clouds to the tank so he could have some tankmates. I have noticed ever since i moved him he has been spending alot of time on the bottom just laying there. Today i noticed that he had lost his color on his body. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened.

cocoa_pleco
07-15-2008, 04:04 AM
are the clouds picking on him?

kaoticice
07-15-2008, 07:35 AM
Did he show any sign of vertical stripes? I'm pretty sure this is due to stress from either tankmates or water chemistry. If he is unharmed with his tankmates than is it possible that you could test the water, what temperature of tank?

teach
07-15-2008, 03:57 PM
No hes not getting picked on he most definately does the picking lol. I wonder if it is the temp I think the heater I put in the tank isnt working right it only stays about 76-78. Would that cause him to loose color?

kaoticice
07-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Usually stress, but it could also be a sign of sickness.

DragonGoby
07-16-2008, 12:23 PM
No hes not getting picked on he most definately does the picking lol. I wonder if it is the temp I think the heater I put in the tank isnt working right it only stays about 76-78. Would that cause him to loose color?
It's a little too low for a betta... It could be that it's cold for him...
Other than that, what are the parameter of your tank? pH, and so on?
Is there enough hiding place for him?
How many times do you feed him and with what type of food?

I'm sorry I'm asking more question than giving answers but it could help us to find what is happening.

hope your little buddy goes better soon.

teach
07-16-2008, 02:01 PM
It's a little too low for a betta... It could be that it's cold for him...
Other than that, what are the parameter of your tank? pH, and so on?
Is there enough hiding place for him?
How many times do you feed him and with what type of food?

I'm sorry I'm asking more question than giving answers but it could help us to find what is happening.

hope your little buddy goes better soon.

Today is the day for my weekly test on the water so will post those later. I think there is enought hiding places for him maybe I need to add more. I feed him betta pellets in the morning and blood worms at night. He seems to act pretty normal other than being a lil lazy. Im thinking about putting him in his own bowl again. He was much happier alone.

teach
07-19-2008, 07:10 PM
So i returned my heater and got an new one that actually works but not quite good enough it wont get the water above 75 degrees. I was wondering if it would be a better idea to get him his own bowl that I could keep warmer(but with no filter) or try a bigger heater. If I gave him his own bowl it would be cheaper but i wonder if he will be happier in the bigger tank?

Abbeys_Mom
07-19-2008, 07:14 PM
It's not good too feed to many blood worms. Keep it for treats only.

ehjsne
08-11-2008, 03:53 PM
I kept bettas at room temp and they were fine...hmm

Are you feeding him enough?

Could he have a disease?

Gemstone
08-12-2008, 05:32 AM
Your betta is just under stress...and the temperature is maybe a little too cool for him. If his condition does not improve within a couple of days, I would suggest you put him into his own tank.