PDA

View Full Version : How many shrimp can I have?

Fishguy2727
07-15-2008, 02:20 AM
I want some shrimp. I like the cleaner shrimp and I think they would be a good addition. My favorite are probably the peppermint shrimp. How many could I have? Two of each? One of each?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-15-2008, 02:56 AM
If you are sticking to Skunk Cleaners, Peppermints, and Blood Shrimp, you could have a 2-3 of any of those. Avoid a Coral Banded Shrimp though, that will severly limit you to just that one shrimp. One thing to be aware of with Peppermints is that you are not likely to see them much, they are very reclusive.

spudbuds
07-15-2008, 05:38 AM
How big is your tank again? I was thinking that you have to have a good size tank to have multiple cleaners. To make sure there is enough room for them each to have a cleaning station without the territorial disputes. Of course I now can't find that info in the book I thought I read it in.

I rarely see my peppermints, but when I do, it's a nice treat.

I agree on the CBS unless it's the only shrimp you want in the tank.

- Bill

Kyle
07-15-2008, 05:47 AM
I had one peppermint and never saw him but since I got him a friend they are our all the time!

spudbuds
07-15-2008, 05:58 AM
Yes, I believe peppermint shrimp prefer to be in groups. I have three of them and I still only see them every other day or so, but they are also still getting used to things. I've only had them about a month.

- Bill

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-15-2008, 09:19 AM
I was thinking that you have to have a good size tank to have multiple cleaners. To make sure there is enough room for them each to have a cleaning station without the territorial disputes. Of course I now can't find that info in the book I thought I read it in.

That would be true in nature, however in an aquarium environment you really don't have that problem because you don't really get "cleaning stations" as such. We keep our tanks clear of the parasites they would normally feed on at a cleaning station. Cleaner shrimp generally feed on any scraps of food that come their way. Of course a friendly cleaner shrimp will always take the opportunity to clean your arm if you put it in the tank. :)

Fishguy2727
07-15-2008, 12:53 PM
So would it be two peppermints and two cleaners, or just one cleaner and three peppermints, or what?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-15-2008, 07:16 PM
IMO, that is entirely up to you.

Fishguy2727
07-15-2008, 08:52 PM
So there is no issue with two as opposed to three like there is with some animals? I know with some animals it is one or a group or something like that depending on the animal. I just wanted to make sure that was not an issue here.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Based solely on personal observation, I would say that there is no problem with it and I have never seen anything written that would contradict that. That's not to say there isn't something to that effect, I just personally have not seen it.

unleashed
07-15-2008, 11:44 PM
You could easily have plenty of cleaner/fire/peppermint shrimp in most tanks. These animals are friendly towards each other and members of other species.

For example, in my 50g approx cube, I could easily house 50+ cleaner shrimps with no problems. However, I am not going to mainly because it would look unsightly and un-natural

I would not recommend more than one (or two if they are a true mated pair) of the Stenopus sp. in any tank under 100 gallons. Mainly because of their aggressive behaviour. I would also watch out as members of this genus have been known to predate on other shrimp and small fish.

TowBoater
07-16-2008, 02:04 AM
Coral banded shrimp from my experience are fine w/ peppermint shrimp but not other cleaners. I kept one w/ a peppermint for 3 months and I am adding 2 peppermints to my 20gL with a CBS pretty soon. Shrimp like fish and humans have personality and are all different.