PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted invaders - Identification please

Sasquatch
12-16-2006, 04:28 AM
Hello all, I don't know if this is the right place, but it seemed the best forum in which to ask.

We have recently identified something in our aquarium and we can't figure out what it is, if it's dangerous and if/with what we should treat it.

A few days ago, we noticed a bunch of white spots on our aquarium's glass. We took a look at them with a magnifying glass and they look like miniature trees. Semi-transparent with white spots in the end of the "branches", really shaped like the classic "tree in a field" (You know, big trunk and a ball of leaves). The spots are about 1mm across and the "trees" are about 1mm high.

We recently (about a month ago) added plants to the aquarium, as well as some fish, so they probably came along for a ride with them (along with some snails!)*.

Can you give me a hand identifying what these things are?

Abbeys_Mom
12-16-2006, 02:02 PM
They are probably some type of copepod. They are harmless and are generally a result of over feeding. I have had planaria worms in my tanks before, and have just stepped up the gravel cleaning the next time or two. Feed your fish a little less and they should go away.

Lady Hobbs
12-16-2006, 05:27 PM
How often do you clean your gravel? A good weekly cleaning with water change is pretty necessary or you could get worms or other critters living in there. This does not apply to tanks uncycled, however.

Sasquatch
12-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the help.

Aren't copepods free swimming? These things are fixed to the glass/plants in the aquarium. They could be worms, but they don't move, even when a snail slimes 'em.

We try to clean the gravel when we do our water changes. About 10% per week.

jman
12-16-2006, 09:18 PM
they are definetly what i had... can't remember exact mane but after a while i learned when i was having the problem that research said they eventually burrow into the glass somehow. They aren't a problem they just came from the plant or snail because we often forget to rinse them off. You can get rid of rest (they mate) with aquarium salt and i also know that the snail is helpin by removing the new babies they produce. I just recommend 30-40% water changes weekly and a glass clean along with aquarium salt from your LFS.

It's what got rid of mine!

Sasquatch
12-17-2006, 11:49 PM
We spotted some copepods today, so I guess you had it right Abbeys_Mom.

Are the white spots eggs or something? Anyway, glad to hear that they aren't a threat to the fish.

Thanks for the help.