PDA

View Full Version : HELP...Oranda with enlarged eye!

twohuskies
07-15-2008, 12:34 AM
I have a brown oranda that has a strange problem with his eye. It is NOT protruding like popeye; it has just enlarged around the entire perimeter. It's hard to describe, but when you look at the fish straight on, one eye is normal and the other is twice as big around. I've seen popeye, and this does NOT look like that; iow, it is not "popping" out of the socket. It's just gotten twice as big around.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? If so, how do I treat it?

Thanks!

cocoa_pleco
07-15-2008, 12:35 AM
sounds like the start of popeye, i would throw in some aquarium salt along with clean water

twohuskies
07-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I was going to do a partial water change right away anyway. I will definitely add some salt, and perhaps some Maracyn? This is one of my ABSOLUTE favorite fish...I have 5 tanks, so he's got a lot of competition! I have to help him!

cocoa_pleco
07-15-2008, 12:47 AM
if the salt doesnt help, i would bring out the maracyn

twohuskies
07-15-2008, 12:59 AM
I'd really like to avoid the Maracyn if I can, because this is a 65 gallon tank! I could set up a hospital tank, but it's not properly cycled, and it's only a 6.5 gallon long. Poor Brownie would be MISERABLE in that small tank...

I also have a Chinese Algae Eater in that tank...can he take the salt? I've always heard that they can't...

cocoa_pleco
07-15-2008, 01:02 AM
i dont think he can. try keeping the water sparkling clean and see how it goes

you can also try the medicines melafix and pimafix, you can mix them and theyre safe for almost all fish and inverts, ive successfully treated popeye with it many times

twohuskies
07-15-2008, 01:14 AM
I was afraid of that. I don't have PimaFix, but I do have Melafix. I'm going to add another HOB filter when I do the water change. Hopefully, that will help to keep the water crystal clear...

Thanks sooooooo much!

cocoa_pleco
07-15-2008, 01:15 AM
melafix will work just fine

twohuskies
07-15-2008, 04:55 AM
You were SOOOOOOOO right! About an hour after posting my question, the eye had begun to swell. :scry: :scry:

So, I continued with the PWC, and added the additional HOB filter to keep the water crystal clear. I also added MelaFix. I guess I'll give the MelaFix a day or so to at least start helping. If no change by then, I'll pull out the Maracyn...

Thanks again soooooooooo much. Your advice was dead-on. I just want Brownie's eye to get better, and QUICK!

twohuskies
07-15-2008, 02:01 PM
OK, here's an update with tank specs, water parameters, and a pic.

-Ammonia= 0
-NitrIte= 0
-NitrAte= 40
-pH= 7.6
-KH= 120-180
-GH= 150
-Water Temperature:
-Tank size= 65 gallons
-Filtration (Make, and GPH) Penguin 400 & Aquaclear 60
-Is there gravel/sand/rocks in the tank? If so how deep? gravel, 1.5"
-Tank Inhabitants (How many, how big?): 3 oranda (2-4"), 2 fantail (3-5"), 1 common (6.5"), 3 common (1.5"), 1 Chinese Algae Eater (3.5")
-How long the tank has been set up: 6 years
-Frequency and amount of routine water changes: every 2-3 weeks, 40%
-What you feed them, how much, & how often: goldfish flakes, 1xday
-City or well water: well
-Water conditioner used: Prime or Stresscoat
-any extras (i.e.; air pumps, and air stones?) Whisper Air pump, 60
-New fish or plants added to the tank? What type and when? Were they quarantined?: Nothing new for at least a year
-Medications used: Melafix
-Describe the problems you are seeing: Looks like popeye

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm60/twohusky/tanks%20pets/brownie005.jpg

The Nitrate seems high, so I think I'm going to add a little more prime.

I've been keeping fish for at least 7 years, and along the way, I've accumulated an arsenal of medications! I have plenty of Maracyn & Maracyn II - should I only use the Maracyn II?

The pic has a reddish tint to it from the flash. The eyes are not red - on is just swollen.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome! Brownie is one of my favorite fish out of 5 tanks, so he's got a lot of competition!

cocoa_pleco
07-15-2008, 07:45 PM
ive had the best luck with maracyn using II

if absolute worse comes to worse and he loses the eye, it isnt a huge deal, he will be normal but his depth perception will be off a bit (close one eye and try to see how long your keyboard is by eye to see what its like). i doubt he will lose the eye though

twohuskies
07-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Actually, I think his eye is better today. The swelling has reduced a little.

In looking through my arsenal of medications, I decided to try Kanaplex. I like that it "says" it is absorbed through the skin. I also like that it is dosed every 2 days, rather than every day. I also added more MelaFix. I don't know if the huge water change, r the melafix, or a combination of the two helped Brownie, but I'm just encouraged that the swelling has gone down.

I think I will do another large water change before adding the second dose of Kanaplex (on Thursday). Hopefully, his medication and super clean and fresh water will bring him back to his old self!

Thanks again...from Brownie AND me!

cocoa_pleco
07-16-2008, 01:38 AM
no prob

if its reduced, it probably wont get enlarged anymore with clean water and meds. Popeye is caused by fluid buildup in the eye, and if the cause of it consists, it will eventually just pop out of the socket. Sounds like Brownie's eye fluid is going down and should return to normal

twohuskies
07-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm happy to report that Brownie's eye is MUCH improved this morning. :19: :19: :19: In fact, it is back to NORMAL size and is not popping out at all! Looking at him today, if I hadn't seen the HUGE eye 2 days ago, I would swear he was perfect.

I'm still going to do another large water change later tonight or tomorrow (giving the Kanaplex time to work). After the WC, I'll dose one more time with Kanaplex and I think the danger will be over.

Thanks again for all the help and support. thumbs2: