PDA

View Full Version : New Problem Guys please help

nraposa
12-16-2006, 01:14 AM
Actually a few problems:

1. I think i have ich but not sure my two glass fish have a couple of white spots on them 2 on one near tail 3 on the other 1 on head 1 one tail and one on fin. I've looked at photos of ich and the fish look like they have head lice they are just completly covered in white spots. do my fish have ich.

2. if they do should i medicate or salt. I do have one tetra in the tank so i'll have to cut medications in half. what do think

3. i also have two cories will meds affect them.

4. on top of it all one of my swords seems to have a sore on it's side. is it ich. Is it a condition because my ammonia was so high, and will medication help it or hurt the sore more.

Sorry to be so dependent on you guys but i'm not sure and just want to do things right. thank you guys

:help:

nraposa
12-16-2006, 01:41 AM
these are my test numbers
p.h. - 7.4
ammonia - 0-.25
nitrites - 0
nitrates- 0-5.0

Also sword with the sore looks like he is hide behind plant. he will come out and eat and will be active going for food but when food goes he goes right back to that tree and just floats there.

i've also turned heat up to 83 in case it is ich

hopefully this helps

Nautilus291
12-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Well It sounds like your fish do have ich. Since you have freshwater fish you shouldnt use salt with them. If you are worried about your corys put them in another tank while your treating them.

About the sore, do you have anything sharp he could have cut himself on while he was swimming around. You dont have that high of ammonia so i doubt its anything to do with that. Right now my ammonias at 1.5 to 3. and none of my fish have sores on them.

Cichlid_Man
12-16-2006, 01:58 AM
Hello NRaposa.

What I would do in your situation is add aquarium salt at the rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon of water.you already raised the temperature to 83 degrees so you are OK there. Do this for 10 days.
After 10 days you can do frequent small water changes to rid the tank of salt.

I would not use meds because of the tetra. That fish, as you said, requires half the dose than other fish, so unless you had a sick tank you could transfer the tetra to, it wouldn't work.

There are no guarantees, but that's the treatment I would use in your case.

Let us know how things turn out.

nraposa
12-16-2006, 02:29 AM
so no water changes during the ten days. My problem is my tank is now cycling so ammonia is going down but won't the nitrite's spike now and they can be deadly. should i add nitra-zorb or stress zyme during this period in case the nitrites do spike whith the salt. it should be aquarium salt right. thanks for your quick response's

gc no there is nothing sharp it there it not like a whole in his skin it's more like when your fingers get wrinkly from being in the water his skin looks like that on a small portion of his right side it's whitish while everything else is orange

Cichlid_Man
12-16-2006, 02:54 AM
That's a tough call my friend.

If they have Ich and they go untreated, they will die.
If the ammonia is high, they have a chance of survival. A good chance.

Add Salt per my instructions, no water changes for 10 days...add bio spira if you can get it fresh...if not, add stress zyme according to directions. This MIGHT help making the ammonia less toxic. That's what I would do.
Best advice....be patient...it'll work out...

nraposa
12-16-2006, 03:09 AM
Thank You very much cichild your help is much appreciated

Lady Hobbs
12-16-2006, 04:15 AM
Jungle Labs Tank Buddies has a parasite remover that won't hurt your biological system. The fungus meds do but the parasite remover will not. Cost less than $3 at Walmart if you need to use that. You do have to remove the carbon filter while treating and replace it when you want to get rid of the medication.