PDA

View Full Version : Blue Rams

pinknic
12-15-2006, 10:55 PM
I have 4 Blue Rams and I love their colours, but how do you tell the difference between a male and a female? and how many should I have of each sex, for them to be happy together? I'm very new to all this, only set up my tank in July but already really hooked!!!:4:

jman
12-15-2006, 10:59 PM
The male's front dorsal fin rays are much longer than the female's, forming the telltale "spike." The dorsal fin of the male also tends to have a pointed shape near the caudal fin, where the female's is more rounded. Females are smaller and have a reddish tinge on their pelvic regions, especially when getting ready to spawn. Also, the black spot on the side of the female blue ram may have irridescent blue spangles throughout, and the male's tends to be solid black. I think fins are the easiest way to determine.

pinknic
12-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Many Thanks, it looks like I have 3 Males and 1 Female, Do you think this ratio is okay or should I get another female?

jman
12-15-2006, 11:20 PM
i prefer it actually to be reversed with the 3 females and 1 male because what ends up happening is the boys (fish) become dogs over the one girl and that causes stress on her. just keep an eye because there are other possibilities.

pinknic
12-16-2006, 09:18 AM
I have had a better look and it looks like I have 3 fish with reddish tinges and 1 not, and that one seems to have longer dorsal fins. So I think I might have had it wrong, looks to me like I have 3 females and 1 male!! (they are quite hard to tell, for a beginner like me) Thanks for the help!!

And have a good Christmas

Fishguy2727
12-16-2006, 01:44 PM
I think the easiest way is the black spot. They usually have to be in pretty good conditions to get the longer rays on the dorsal, and a lot of the time the females need to be ready to breed to show off the red bellies. So it is easiest for me to tell by looking at the black spot and whether or not there are purple spots in it.

jman
12-16-2006, 08:48 PM
that is great than they should do fine. Merry Christmas to the both of you