PDA

View Full Version : Shells from the Ocean

ladyoutlaw50
07-13-2008, 08:53 PM
I found some really nice intact shells at the beach the other day --- I would love to use them in my next tank (thinking of getting shell dwellers when I get my next tank) what do I need to do to the shells in order to make sure all is ok. I know I read something somewhere on here, but for the life of me can't find it again!!

thanks and sorry if this is a repeat question

Dave66
07-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Naturally the shells for the shell dwellers are large snail shells, like those apple snail size shells. You'd have to rinse those sea shells very throughly, since they have been in the ocean, and have a lot of marine salt in the pores of the shells. I suppose you could use them, but freshwater snail shells would be a safer bet.

Dave

Tigerbarb
07-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Don't put the shells in water and boil them, but boil some water in your microwave (assuming you have one) for 3-4 minutes, and then put the shells in.Do not use any vinegar, as it may dissolve the shells.
There is no sure way to get any salt deposits out of the shells, so Dave's suggestion of using freshwater snail shells might be best.

toddnbecka
07-14-2008, 12:33 AM
I'd toss 'em in the tank, there certainly won't be enough salt remaining to have any impact on the water volume of even a small tank. They may raise the pH and hardness of the water if it's lower than 7.6-7.8, but that's the low end for shelldwellers anyway.