PDA

View Full Version : strange behaviour!

kes
12-15-2006, 08:56 PM
I have a 100X30X40cm tank that I upgraded from a very small coldwater starter.

I had your basic hardy newbie fish in it, a shoal of zebras and danios, 3 corys, a teeny butterfly plec, 4 platys and 3 rosy barbs.

Now the tank is established, I decided to introduce some more interesting fish and, after reading, chose three opaline gouramis and (because I adore cichlids and didn't think I could have them in a relatively hardwater community tank) a pair of bolivian rams.

My tank was running at about 23 celsius before but since introducing these I've put it up to about 25 on the LFS recommendation.

My barbs have always been the bully boys of the tank and can boss the others around but since the gouramis and rams have arrived they've started doing fancy dances around each other, sometimes just circling and swirling around but sometimes kind of butting each other. They don't bother the other fish but are really interested in each other. In fact, all the fish look a lot more lively..

Is this because of the newcomers or is it the increase in temperature? Is that temperature ok?

The gouramis settled in immediately and had a good feed but the cichlids looked a little nervous but are better now.

This is probably sounds daft to people in the know but I'm very new to this and want to do the best for my lovely fish! :41:

Kes

Fishguy2727
12-15-2006, 09:04 PM
I would keep it at about 80F (~27C). Sounds like the barbs REALLY like it in there, and eachother. If no damage is being done it sounds normal.

kes
12-15-2006, 09:07 PM
phew! you've put my mind at ease...I didn't want poached cod.

I just hope my rams get a little less anxious in time.

Thanks!