PDA

View Full Version : should i get shrimp?

graceluvsplatys
07-12-2008, 07:49 PM
once i clear up my weird tank disease, i kinda wanna try a shrimp. what do they eat, how sensitive are they? are they bad in cmmunitys? should i try them> thnaks

cocoa_pleco
07-12-2008, 08:26 PM
most are scavengers, theyre sensitive to nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia, and theyre bad around larger fish

Tolley
07-12-2008, 10:27 PM
I'd go with soem amanos in your platy or betta tank.

kaoticice
07-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Im not sure about amanos, but most shrimps will get eaten by full grown male betta fish. They do have a big mouth for their size.
For shrimps, i would recommend a shrimp only tank, unless your tank is big enough with plenty of cover such as java moss. In a community tank they usually get harassed or will be happily eaten. Fish such as neon-tetras, rasboras, danios, etc will probably leave the shrimps alone, however, these shrimps have a life-span of 1-2 years so you'll probably want them to breed. And that's when the problem arise, baby shrimps are considered as baby brine shrimps and will be consumed by all the tankmates in the tank no matter how small the fish are. otos, BN, and snails are probably the best shrimp tankmates.

Tolley
07-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Im not sure about amanos, but most shrimps will get eaten by full grown male betta fish. They do have a big mouth for their size.
For shrimps, i would recommend a shrimp only tank, unless your tank is big enough with plenty of cover such as java moss. In a community tank they usually get harassed or will be happily eaten. Fish such as neon-tetras, rasboras, danios, etc will probably leave the shrimps alone, however, these shrimps have a life-span of 1-2 years so you'll probably want them to breed. And that's when the problem arise, baby shrimps are considered as baby brine shrimps and will be consumed by all the tankmates in the tank no matter how small the fish are. otos, BN, and snails are probably the best shrimp tankmates.

Adult Amano's should be fine with Bettas

angelcakes
07-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Adult Amano's should be fine with Bettas
they are, my amano's are in with bettas and have been for approx 2 months now and all okthumbs2:

graceluvsplatys
07-13-2008, 06:29 PM
ok, my largest fish is dwarf gourami.... and my betta is female, but actually pretty aggressive.
i will have to think. whay size tank would be good for shrimp only?

cocoa_pleco
07-13-2008, 08:41 PM
ok, my largest fish is dwarf gourami.... and my betta is female, but actually pretty aggressive.
i will have to think. whay size tank would be good for shrimp only?

usually a 5g-10g

graceluvsplatys
07-14-2008, 04:10 AM
hmm well, i dont really want to set up and only shrimp tank....
hey, would platys, and cories be safe with shrimp?
i dont know about the gourami tho, he treies to eat everthing.

cocoa_pleco
07-14-2008, 04:29 AM
yep, they would be safe

graceluvsplatys
07-14-2008, 04:34 AM
ok. then i might do it, exept for the gourami.