PDA

View Full Version : Pleco getting enough food?

GregM
07-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I've had my tank (3foot - 180litre) for about 2 months now and have 1 pleco and a few other fish in it. I've read various posts about what the feed the pleco ranging from nothing, to various veggies to wafers.

My question is how do I know if my pleco is getting enough to eat. I've yet to see any algae in my tank - either its not growing or my pleco is eating it.

At least with the other fish when I feed them flakes they're all gone within 5 mins so I know they're getting enough.

As I never see the pleco, I don't see him eating. How do I know if the poor guy is maybe starving?

angelcakes
07-12-2008, 09:41 AM
how old is youre pleco? and how big? and is it a common plec?
not all plecs are algea eaters......try feeding some cucumber and algea wafers,but also some like meat such as prawns,bloodworm in there diet

Fishalicious
07-12-2008, 09:54 AM
A look at Mr Pleco will tell you volumes about his well being ... if the skin is taut and plump on his head he is getting enough food...if the skin looks a bit lose and is wrinkled on his head then he is hungry

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2008, 12:57 PM
A veggie click with his food in it might give you a better idea how much is gone and easier to remove the remainder if it isn't. Blancing zucchini and cucumber helps it to sink easier or you can stick a fork in it and drop it in the tank that way.

GregM
07-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Its a young pleco - about 2 inches big. I believe its a common type - the guy at the lfs told me it eats algae. I've now put some cucumber in the tank and will watch him closely. From what I can see the skin is taut.

Thank for the advice.

Arkie
07-13-2008, 08:51 AM
most plecos are nocturnal so you may not see him eating but you will see whether or not he has eaten the cucumber in the morning. he will eventually need a much bigger tank im not sure if your aware of that? they grow rather quickly too, which i think is heaps cool, i love my plecos thumbs2:

jb300m01
07-13-2008, 03:31 PM
my pleco loves zuchinni (sp?) give that a try. thumbs2:

Lakea
07-15-2008, 03:46 AM
I can't get my plecs to eat veggies, I am trying but it ain't working. I here if you soak it in garlic it might tempt the plecs, haven't tested this yet. But my plecs do go crazy for shrimp pellets, sinking pellets, and the kind of munch on algae wafers. If in doubt add a piece of driftwood or coconut shell, my plecs like eating this too. In my vid in my sig you can see my plecs munching on the shrimp pellets. Just keep trying different things.