PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Ghost Shrimp

teach
07-11-2008, 01:37 PM
I have a Green Spotted Puffer and Ive been reading she likes to hunt for her food so I was wondering what it took to breed ghost shrimp? or if there was something better i could use to feed her?

cocoa_pleco
07-11-2008, 01:39 PM
just put 6-10 shrimp in a 2g-5g tank, leave them for a week, and at lest 2-3 will have eggs

Fishead
07-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Just run a sponge filter and do what cocoa said, you can also do cherry shrimps or anything like that. Just keep feeding them and let them do there thing. Might take a bit of time to get things moving along where you can establish a large enough brood for constant feedings though. I personally would keep the tank bare though, makes for easier assesment of what is happening and how much stock you have.

teach
07-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Ok thanks alot thats what i figured. I have a friend that is giving me a 10gal tank and i thot i could seperate that into 3 or 4 sections run a single filter and use it to breed food for my fish. Does that sound like an ok idea?

toddnbecka
07-11-2008, 04:47 PM
You'd be better off breeding cherry shrimp or a similar species w/out a larval stage. Ghost shrimp breed in aquariums all the time but they will eat their own larvae, so they need to be separated to raise them. It's also much more difficult to raise the larvae through several stages. Along with not eating their own young, you can keep several hundred cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon tank. Ghost shrimp are simply more trouble than they're worth to raise, it's more practical to buy them for feeders.