PDA

View Full Version : Tankmates for Jaguars

Juannie
12-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Hello!
Does anyone know if there are any other tank mates you can put with a jaguar? He's been removed from my tank with the oscar & synspilum - is there anything else at all, or is it not worth the risk? It hides in its tank all the time so it looks rather empty.

jman
12-15-2006, 01:43 AM
you can find it here http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Cichlid,%20Jaguar.htm

Jaguar's are predators and as such generally do not mix and play well with others. As juveniles, they can be raised with other medium to large cichlids, as they tend to be relatively docile when young. This changes dramatically when maturity approaches and by around 5 to 6", you will need to find your Jaguar a home all of its own. Any fish small enough to fit into its mouth will be considered food and anything large enough not to fit into its mouth will be considered a threat and dealt with appropriately. This applies to almost all fish, including large armored catfish. The happiest Jaguar is one that doesn't have to share its space.

The size difference between males and females can make keeping a pair a little on the tricky side, but it can be accomplished when a little thought it put into tank decoration. Most aggression between a pair will be shown at spawning time, often when the male is in the mood, but the female is not. Providing her with a cave to retreat to that the male cannot enter or dividing the tank should fix this problem

Fishguy2727
12-15-2006, 02:03 AM
Jaguar's are abnormally aggressive, even for a large cichlid. They are driven most by territoriality. If mine sees me in the room it starts charging and flaring at me. Both times that he has biten me he has drawn blood. He has been by himself since he was about 2". That's when he decided he didn't want to share. That was when he was in a 10 gallon. Now he has his own 75 (absolute bare minimum for a male jag and it HAS to be done right). Male jags can possibly hit 24", but in captivity and not a HUGE tank you should expect 12-18". Mine is about 15" and almost 4 years old. I have seen them in HUGE tanks (300+ gallons) with oscars, pacus, other jags, red devils, Synodontis eupterus, giant gouramis (what a waste of fish), large pimelodid cats (S.A. redtail, tiger shovelnose), plecos, etc.

Juannie
12-15-2006, 02:06 AM
Thanks for that, that site is excellent. Mine funnily enough has been a beautiful violet colour for a long time now, I was curious why this was but this explains - it's healthy & happy! Although mine doesn't have the same markings as those jags in the pics. I was thinking about putting a texas or similar in with it, but it sounds like I might have to give it a miss. It's very very shy when i go up to the tank, although it grew up with the oscar & synspilum it got way to aggressive, hence the tank of it's own. He's only about 10inches long but now I've got a fair idea of how big it'll get, it's in a 3 foot tank (approx 150litres). I eventually want to get a 6foot tank to put them all together again - but it depends on the size i guess. Would it be fine to put a salmontail catfish or another pleco in with him - or is it safest to just leave it be? I don't know what sex it is either, i thought it was a female but am not sure. Is it too risky to find it a mate?