PDA

View Full Version : Fishless cycle - 3weeks no change...

DJNight
07-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Hi, so I filled my new 36g bowfront tank on June 20th, Estes black sand, couple of decorations, 200w heater, rena XP2 with ceramic rings, and a hydor bubbler. Stress coat added to water as added. Added ammonia to 1ppm on the 23rd. ph was high at the time, then dropped low a couple of days later. added some seachem neutral regulator to get 6.8 - 7.0ph. seeded with some of my gravel from my 10g in a stocking. also rinsed my filter bag from my HOB on the 10g in the tankwater. Since adding, I have not had any change in the ammonia level. it has been almost 3weeks. Is this normal? Did I not add enough ammonia? or is there something else that is missing? On 7/6 I put the chem-zorb pouch in the filter, the next day the bubbles changed from tiny bubbles to bigger ones from the hydor, but still no change in the ammonia level. Any ideas? Thanks!
Greg:confused:

Lady Hobbs
07-10-2008, 12:37 AM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640

This may help.

graceluvsplatys
07-10-2008, 12:51 AM
did the chemicals?

Scott_S
07-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Here's my recent experiences, for what it's worth...

I just completed a successful fishless cycle on a 10 gallon using Ace Hardware brand Ammonia (on super advice from MeganL3985) keeping the ammonia at ~5 ppm each day. This worked out to about 5ml of this brand of ammonia to get the ~5 ppm per 10 gallons.

Since I wasn't in a rush for this tank to get cycled, I stopped keeping track of how long the process was taking exactly, but I can tell you it was at least 3 weeks, even using a little bit of media from my cycled tank.

I still don't have any fishes in the tank, so I've been checking the ammonia level every other day, and when the test starts showing light green, I shoot another 5ml in the tank, to keep the bacteria nice and happy.

I'm new at all this, but I will venture to say that you need to up the amount of ammonia you are providing to the process.

Sasquatch
07-10-2008, 11:23 AM
I'd up the ammonia to 5ppm, low levels will greatly prolong the cycle.

I'd also recommend upping the temperature to 82-86°F (28-30°C) if you haven't already.

fins_n_fur
07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
It's not entirely clear from your post, but are you adding enough ammonia DAILY to keep to about 4 ppm to 5 ppm of ammonia (I assume that you have no fish in the tank and that is a fishless cycle), or did you just add it the first day? I don't know what the chem-zorb pouch is, but I would take it out until your tank is cycled. If you arent' adding ammonia daily, any of the beneficial bacteria that might grow, are dieing with nothing to feed them.

Lady Hobbs
07-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Exactly. And really, turn those temps up and aerate that tank. Bacteria needs oxygen and heat to grow quickly.

It sounds as your tank is just sitting there doing nothing. Make sure you are using PURE ammonia with no additives. Forget all those additives you are using except for the dechlorinator.

terrapin24h
07-11-2008, 03:19 AM
i agree with the others, your ammo is too low, get it up and your cycle will start eventually. Don't worry about your ph falling .2, so long as it doesn't fall further. If it does, you may have soft water, and then youll need to add baking soda to the water periodically to harden it a bit. But for now, just keep an eye on it as you get the cycle started. good luck!

--chris