PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify this cichlid.

Klug23
07-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Just cant figure it out. So i figured i would ask you guys.

P.S. = This was an extra tank i put him in when i was changing his substrate in his permanent home.

Red
07-09-2008, 11:55 PM
I think he might be a acei (spl) maybe i see them at petsmart when i go.. i am not 100 % sure..

kaybee
07-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Yes, pseudotropheus acei is correct. One of the more mellow mbuna species.

Red
07-10-2008, 12:24 AM
ok whew.. thank lord for petSmart

ladyoutlaw50
07-10-2008, 03:15 AM
He sure is a nice looking fish!!!

Fishguy2727
07-10-2008, 03:24 AM
Yes, acei. One of the few popular mbunas that don't have that familiar blunt, rounded mbuna face.

toddnbecka
07-10-2008, 05:13 AM
It may be a rare vampire fish, notice the lack of a reflection? :ezpi_wink1:

Gemstone
07-10-2008, 05:56 AM
whatever it is he sure is pretty...(and no....befor u ask...I dont want him....some guppy or something will probably fetlilise him here...no more babies thanks)

Klug23
07-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Yes, pseudotropheus acei is correct. One of the more mellow mbuna species.

Thanks everyone! He is one of my favoite fish i have. Personality is crazy. Dances for food, likes to be held (not outside of the water) and petted. Kind of wierd. he even gets upset with me if i dont feed him at the right time.

Edit: Is there anyway to tell if he/she is male or female? Or do they have to be larger in size?
I have read something about egg sacks but i dont know exactly how you tell that either.

kaybee
07-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Being a monomorphic mbuna species, both genders of acei's are highly similar even when full grown (6")

There are very subtle differences. The males have slightly pointier dorsal and anal fin tips and the pelvic fins are slightly proportionally longer than those of the females. Genders of sub-adult acei's are hard to ID. Your's "might" be a male.

Determining gender becomes easier when you have multiple acei's because you can take behavioral patterns into account.

Also they're egg spots, not egg sacs. The presence or quantity of eggspots aren't a gender indicator.

Klug23
07-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Being a monomorphic mbuna species, both genders of acei's are highly similar even when full grown (6")

There are very subtle differences. The males have slightly pointier dorsal and anal fin tips and the pelvic fins are slightly proportionally longer than those of the females. Genders of sub-adult acei's are hard to ID. Your's "might" be a male.

Determining gender becomes easier when you have multiple acei's because you can take behavioral patterns into account.

Also they're egg spots, not egg sacs. The presence or quantity of eggspots aren't a gender indicator.

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

kaianuanu
07-12-2008, 03:01 AM
Thanks everyone! He is one of my favoite fish i have. Personality is crazy. Dances for food, likes to be held (not outside of the water) and petted. Kind of wierd. he even gets upset with me if i dont feed him at the right time.

Edit: Is there anyway to tell if he/she is male or female? Or do they have to be larger in size?
I have read something about egg sacks but i dont know exactly how you tell that either.

yep look closely at his vent out of water in good light the cavity in the front is it's anus the one in back is it's sex vent
if the sex vent is larger than the anus looking like this: oO , it is a girl if it's sex vent is the same size as it's anus looking like this: oo , It's a boy fishy thumbs2:

this is a grat link with more information and pictures.

http://www.malawimayhem.com/articles_venting.shtml

Klug23
07-12-2008, 08:33 PM
yep look closely at his vent out of water in good light the cavity in the front is it's anus the one in back is it's sex vent
if the sex vent is larger than the anus looking like this: oO , it is a girl if it's sex vent is the same size as it's anus looking like this: oo , It's a boy fishy thumbs2:

this is a grat link with more information and pictures.

http://www.malawimayhem.com/articles_venting.shtml

Wow Awesome link thanks!