PDA

View Full Version : pygmy chain sword

speakerpedal
07-09-2008, 09:27 PM
After setting up my aquarium I've picked up various a couple plants all from the echinodorus group (family, order, phylum? I forget the naming system. haha.phylum.) and some java moss as well. One of the species I bought was a pygmy chain sword plant (Echinodorus tenellus) which seems to have a couple shoots growing off of it. What I want to know is what should I do about these young plants? should I cut them off at a certain size? if so when? What else can I do to make sure they grow healthy? I haven't used any fertilizer on my plants and I have a 15 aquarium light going on these bad boys since they're out of direct sunlight. I was considering using fertilizer or something to help these plants but I don't know what I should look for when going to the pet store. Plus, I don't really trust Petco that much when asking for help.

TorqueWorks
07-19-2008, 01:45 AM
Leave the offshoots alone. They will plant themselves and make a new plant. My one has already made 3 others in the last 2 weeks. Pretty cool.thumbs2: Seacem Flourish, Excel, and Iron are what I suggest picking up.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-19-2008, 01:55 AM
Yup, just leave them alone. That is how the members of the Echinidorous genus propagate themselves.
I'd suggest you start with one of the articles in the article section.
I'm kind of partial to this one. :) http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/plants/balanced.php