PDA

View Full Version : discus eating neons

dean30bb
07-09-2008, 10:12 AM
hi all
ive just set up a new tank for my discus so that i can buy some more its a 4ft x1ft and ive just brought 40 neons for it and the discus have eaten 6 or more since this after noon why are they eating them and can i do something to prevent this from happening
plz help
thanks

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-09-2008, 10:14 AM
How often and what are you feeding your Discus? How big and how old are the Discus? I kept a school of 20 Neons with my Discus for over a year and then when I eased back on their diet the Neons all disappeared so it's not completely unusual.

dean30bb
07-09-2008, 10:19 AM
i feed them 2 times a day with frozen blood worm and super bits
i have a breeding pair that is about 18 months old and 2 smaller ones about 6months old

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-09-2008, 10:26 AM
That pretty much explains it. The breeding pair more than likely won't tollerate the Neons and you are not feeding the 6 month old ones near enough. 6 Month old Discus are still juvis and need to be feed at least 4 times a day but 5-6 is even better. You young are hungry because they are not getting enough to eat.

dean30bb
07-09-2008, 10:35 AM
oh kk kool i got the pair off my friend about 5months ago and he was feeding them six times a day but i dnt have the time with school and stuff

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-09-2008, 10:40 AM
The breeding pair should be full grown by now and should only need 2-3 feedings a day, but if you cut them back that quickly and they were used to 6 feedings then that would still explain the disappearing Neons.

Let me encourage you to find a way to feed your young Discus more than just 2 times a day, they really do need more feedings or they are going to be stunted and will never achieve their max potential.

dean30bb
07-09-2008, 10:54 AM
kk ill try and feed them about 4 time and yeah its true the pair are fully grown well one is the female needs a bit more growning kk thanks for thatmuch apresiated