PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to look after discus fish ?

melbfish20
07-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Do you need to have years of experience with looking after fish ? and how much harder is it than looking after most other fresh water fish ?

Fishalicious
07-09-2008, 07:42 AM
If you can keep you waterparameters stable and find a breeder who breeds them on tap water they are just as easy as any other fish.

xximanoobxx
07-09-2008, 07:44 AM
i think they are much harder because you have to do more frequent water changes and you need RO water to keep them cuz they need soft water. They are vulnerable to disease. If you put like a fish that has disease in the discus tank, it'll kill all of ur discus.. I wanted to keep discuses but im a noob at fish keeping lol... So i decided to do an oscar tank which i'm still planning and stuff

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-09-2008, 10:09 AM
you need RO water to keep them

Absolutely not true. Yes they do need soft water but you do not need RO water to acheive that. I've been keeping Discus for a while with not a single drop of RO water. Besides that, captive bred Discus will thrive in water that has a pH of up to 7.6.

I'd suggest reading through the sticky at the top of this forum for further info on keeping Discus. It's not as hard as some people make it out to be, it's just more work.

melbfish20
07-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Absolutely not true. Yes they do need soft water but you do not need RO water to acheive that. I've been keeping Discus for a while with not a single drop of RO water. Besides that, captive bred Discus will thrive in water that has a pH of up to 7.6.

I'd suggest reading through the sticky at the top of this forum for further info on keeping Discus. It's not as hard as some people make it out to be, it's just more work.

that sticky was helpful
would this be a fairly accurate weekly maintenance list for a discuss tank ?

2 X30% water change
check nitrate,nitrite,PH and ammonia twice a week
clean tank with gravel vacuum once a week
feed with a quality pellet up to 6 times a day

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Looks pretty good, if you get young Discus (anything not full grown) you would need to up the water changes. Generally I do 90% water changes on my Discus tank. That much testing is not really necessary but if it gives peace of mind then it's fine. Since you have never had Discus before I really would recommend a bare bottom tank and vac it every time you do a water change.

The 6 times a day feeding frequency is only for juvenile discus, once they are full grown they don't need to be fed as often, 2-3 times a day is sufficient. The large frequent water changes are necessary because of the large amount of feeding the young fish get. As I mentioned in the sickey, they need more than just low water parameters, they need clean water. When I was raising my Discus from young I would actually do a 90% water change every other day and I would siphon off any debris on the bottom of the tank every day.

melbfish20
07-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Looks pretty good, if you get young Discus (anything not full grown) you would need to up the water changes. Generally I do 90% water changes on my Discus tank. That much testing is not really necessary but if it gives peace of mind then it's fine. Since you have never had Discus before I really would recommend a bare bottom tank and vac it every time you do a water change.

The 6 times a day feeding frequency is only for juvenile discus, once they are full grown they don't need to be fed as often, 2-3 times a day is sufficient. The large frequent water changes are necessary because of the large amount of feeding the young fish get. As I mentioned in the sickey, they need more than just low water parameters, they need clean water. When I was raising my Discus from young I would actually do a 90% water change every other day and I would siphon off any debris on the bottom of the tank every day.

is that 90% a day or week ? wouldn't a change that big in one day be stressful ?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
that was 90% every other day. :) Discus breeders in Singapore often do 2 100% changes a day on their fish. It's not stressful for them, it's good for them. Like any fish, they will need to adjust to haveing the water changed, but they get used to it. It's really not a problem at all. What I recommend for you is to do 90% as often as possible, so that could be every other day if posible.

Fishguy2727
07-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Large water changes CAN mess things up easily if you are not doing them properly. As long as the pH and temperature are the same there should not be an issue. Don't jump in to large water changes like that, but step your way up. Many keep water in a large trash can so they can test the pH and temp before putting it in with their fish.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I agree that you can mess things up by doing water large water changes, but that presupposes that you are not doing them properly and not applying a little common sense. Providing you know what you are doing and you do them properly, there really is no issue with jumping into the large water changes right away, if you get your Discus from a descent source, they should be used to them anyway. Any breeder that is worth buying from does frequent large water changes on their grow out tanks.

Fishguy2727
07-09-2008, 01:10 PM
All I said was that yes, there can be some problems if not done properly. Many people who are not used to doing such large water changes may not be used to making sure the pH is right, or that the temp has to be so exact the whole time the water change is being done. I think such large water changes are a great thing, but asking someone not used to doing them to simply jump in to them (especially with a fish as unforgiving as discus) is not good advice and needed clarification.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-09-2008, 01:24 PM
All I said was that yes, there can be some problems if not done properly. Many people who are not used to doing such large water changes may not be used to making sure the pH is right, or that the temp has to be so exact the whole time the water change is being done. I think such large water changes are a great thing, but asking someone not used to doing them to simply jump in to them (especially with a fish as unforgiving as discus) is not good advice and needed clarification.

And all I did was reiterate your point with a few additions, so where's your problem?!?

I'll agree that the pH has to be exact but the temperature not so much. Captive bred Discus and most fish in general are far more forgiving of temperature changes than many people give them credit for. A temperature difference of a couple of degrees is not going to make a difference. I'm not suggesting a difference fo 4-5 degrees in the water, but if you maintain your tank at 84 and you do the change with 82 or 86 degree water it's not a big deal at all.

Fishguy2727
07-09-2008, 10:12 PM
That is exactly what I did and you seemeed to take it the wrong way.

In general yes, but with a 90% change and not all discus being as hardy as others (even the hardy LFS bought ones) I would not recommend jumping into it.

Either way the best method is to have your water in a holding tank (clean, new trash can) with a heater and air stone so the pH is stable and the temperature is the same as the tank.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-09-2008, 10:16 PM
That's fine, then why did you include calling my advice bad?

Fishguy2727
07-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I feel that recommending someone jump into 90% water changes with discus is bad advice. They should step up to it (preferably before they have the discus so they will be ready to provide the adequate water changes when they have them and any mistakes will be in an empty tank).

On a side note, in my experience discus do much better in planted tanks. Plants keep the water of even higher quality between water changes and provide a natural aspect to the tank that makes the discus more comfortable and less stressed.

Evil Slimy
07-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Planted tanks are not considered good grow out tanks if going for best size/body shape. Adults do better in them, juveniles not as well.
Here's a long article on discus in planted tanks that explains the pros and cons.
http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/Articles/PAM_Discus.htm

Halelorf
07-10-2008, 12:24 AM
If you decide to hold water in a trash can for water changes make sure to get a food safe one, it should be labeled "NFS". If not it can leach things out into the water which could be bad for the discus. Good luck discus are amazing and very beautiful!

graceluvsplatys
07-10-2008, 12:56 AM
I have no experience, but thinking generally, its not impossible for the newest keeper. If you do ytour reasearch,and have got past the newb mistakes, go ahead.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Grace, the problem is that 99% of beginners to the hobby do not understand the need for the care level of Discus and are not disciplined enough to do the needed maintenance. The discipline needed to maintain them is something that is learned with experience in the hobby.

Fishguy2727
07-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Many beginners may start off doing well, but then slack off. At this point if the discus do not show any immediate signs of distress the keeper thinks the more advanced discus keepers were errored when they recommended those 'unnecessary' water change schedules. But they overlook the very negative effects that LONG-TERM sub-optimal conditions can cause (this can go for water quality, diet, etc.).

That article was good, but it really just means certain things need to be kept in mind with planted discus tanks. Lighting does not have to be super intense to be successful with both discus and plants. My 75 has a fluorescent double strip and the plants love it in there, as do the discus and all the other fish. Flow is also not really an issue. Even with relatively high flow, that flow is quickly diluted on the glass, decor, etc. My 75 has a Fluval 404, 405, and a Biowheel Power Pro 30 and the overall flow rate in the tank is not an issue at all. I recommend sand in any tank, planted included, so the debris in the gravel affecting water quality is not an issue (and this does not pose any problem to the plants' growth either).

In my experience a planted tank properly setup and maintained should not pose any problem to juvenile discus. Certain things that may be done could be an issue, but the discus' needs need to be the top priority, not the plants'. As long as that is done there should not be a problem.

graceluvsplatys
07-10-2008, 08:59 PM
oh , yes you guys are 100% correct. What i meant ( i dont know if this got across) was that, though not an expert at fishkeeping, fi tyou understand the work involved, and reasaerch the heck out of it, then i think she has a good chance. If it was me, I would want more experince cause i know i wouldnt be able to handle it otherwise. But, if this person believes that they cn handle it, and know whats required, then i say, go for t.
but, you are the experts.

SkinnyChicken
07-11-2008, 02:37 AM
I think GoldBarb and FishGuy are spot on. I've had my Discus for a year now and had never kept fish before that (although my dad had one when I was younger), and the only time I ran into problems was when I decided (in all my wisdom - about 3 months worth!!) that because everything looked fine I didn't need to do water changes for a few weeks. Although the other fish were fine with this, all the Discus ended up with clamped fins and one got a cloudy infected eye.

And I can tell you it is a lot easier doing the water changes than it is trying to medicate fish in hospital tanks and nurse them back to health. I guess it was a very valuable lesson I learned and i was extremely lucky that I didn't lose any of them. Since then I do a 50% water change every week without fail and I've had great success ever since.

I've never really worried about the temperature during water changes either. As GoldBarb says, I think Discus are fine with a swing of a few degrees either way - I know mine are. though I guess as you get a little more used to it, you can usually guestimate the temperature of new water to the odd degree anyway so it is less of an issue.

So, in my limited experience of discus keeping (only a year), I'd say the most important thing you can remember is frequent water changes. Keep up the water changes and you won't go far wrong.

Great advice by the way guys (GoldBarb/FishGuy)

Happy Discus-ing :)

melbfish20
07-11-2008, 09:57 AM
how important is a high quality filter ? their are 2 filters that I am looking at, one is $380 and is the best filter they have at my LFS, the other is $200 and is still good, will the best one make a difference keeping in mind the $200 one is still good

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Filtration is something that is just as much personal choice as anything. You do need to be sure to get one that is sufficient for your tank and your bioload, but after that need is met it is personal preference. For example, I'm a fan of the Eheim canister filters, there are others here who like Fluval and yet others who like Rena canisters. It doesn't mean any of us are wrong, we just have a preference. You don't even need to necessarily go with a canister filter either, although I would recommend it, you do have the possibility of going with a good HOB filter. What exactly are the filters you are looking at?

melbfish20
07-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Filtration is something that is just as much personal choice as anything. You do need to be sure to get one that is sufficient for your tank and your bioload, but after that need is met it is personal preference. For example, I'm a fan of the Eheim canister filters, there are others here who like Fluval and yet others who like Rena canisters. It doesn't mean any of us are wrong, we just have a preference. You don't even need to necessarily go with a canister filter either, although I would recommend it, you do have the possibility of going with a good HOB filter. What exactly are the filters you are looking at?

the $380 is a Eheim canister filter and the $200 is a aqua one filter

Lady Hobbs
07-11-2008, 12:07 PM
One says bare bottom tank and 90 percent water changes every other day. And by the way, that statement said: "Generally I do 90% water changes on my Discus tank." He does not state you MUST do only what he does.

The other says planted and not such large water changes. Both of you keep discus YOUR WAY and the way it works for YOU. To tell one his advice is bad because it's not the same as yours is unnecessary. Different is not the same as bad.

And keeping Discus as the breeder keeps them, in bare bottom tanks is also not bad advice.

This is becoming ridiculous.

Fishguy2727
07-11-2008, 01:01 PM
The only thing I felt was bad advice was for someone new to discus to jump in to 90% water changes. I simply feel they should slowly step up to that (preferably before they have the discus) so they are used to it and much less likely to have any issues. 90% is great. That was the only detail I have a problem with.

For decor I personally feel that it should be more than a functional setup, it should be their home too. Because of this I feel that a more natural setup is better. Driftwood, sand, plants, etc. If someone has issues keeping water quality up with this setup then they should definitely go with what allows them to keep proper care.

I think a canister is the best choice. I use Fluvals and have not found it necessary to go with the more expensive Eheim, but if you want to I have heard you will far from be disappointed. Check online, you can get them cheaper and have more options.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-11-2008, 03:51 PM
$380 is way to expensive for an Eheim unless it is the new Pro 3e. The Classic Line of Eheim canisters are far cheaper and are still very good. I have an Eheim 2215 and a 2017 Classic Line canisters and they are both excellent filters. Some don't like the fact that the Classic Line canisters don't have media trays, this simply means cleaning it takes a little more work, something I've never found to be a problem. Oh, and they don't have a self priming button, again, it you do it right it's not a big issue either. Eheim is pretty much unmatched in quality of construction and IMO is worth the investment.

snapdragon9
07-27-2008, 03:54 AM
Water changes are key, they aren't that difficult...

mister
07-27-2008, 07:11 AM
Yes they do need soft water but you do not need RO water to acheive that. I've been keeping Discus for a while with not a single drop of RO water. Besides that, captive bred Discus will thrive in water that has a pH of up to 7.6.

I'm with GoldBarb on this one. Discus are not nearly the headache many people like to make them out to be. Captive-bred are the way to go. If you can find a quality, respected breeder in your area - even better. Those Discus will be much more hardy where water quality is concerned.

I have two Ehiem canisters in a 110* planted tank, and I do a 50% change weekly. I have 7 Discus, all are captive-bred, 5 are from a local breeder.

* For those of you who saw my 120 custom build-out - that tank cracked about two months ago. My LFS offered me either a duplicate as a replacement or an Oceanic 110. I took the 110.

No casualties in the emergency removal of the suddenly half-full 120, transfer to a temporary 55, and the subsequent re-build of the space for the new tank as well as the total re-do of the new 110. That undoubtedly put some stress on all my fish, but the Discus were just fine. A further testament to the health and hardiness of captive-bred Discus.