PDA

View Full Version : Curing live rock

Ocellaris
07-07-2008, 11:12 PM
It's been a week today since I've had the live rock in my tank curing. Today I did the 3rd 10% water change and decided I better change the filters. Holy cow, just after one week I had more dead brown gunk than I ever did not changing the filters for two months or so. I didn't have time to go buy more at the LFS, so I just washed my magnum sleeves out and reusing them.

Before each water change I blow each piece with a power head and what comes off I try to get out when I vacuum the tank, but what stays on I don't mess with just in case if it'll grow back. I think I have some growing already. I'm not positive. Is it possible just after a week? It looks like tubs growing, two of them in holes very close together.

Does freshwater ammonia also work with salt? I'm waiting for my salt water test kit to come in, so just in case I used my freshwater ammonia testing and never has it been more than .25 ppm.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Ammonia is ammonia (unless it's ammonium [NH4]) it will work just fine, but you won't need it. The die-off from the rock has created the ammonia in the water for you. The establishment of the benificial bacteria and growth of the other organisms is what curing your rock is all about.

gem
07-08-2008, 12:25 AM
If you're using the API freshwater test kit, the chemical is the same. What is different is the color chart. What you're reading as .25 amonia is inaccurate.
As for amonia....if you're refering to adding it like you would to a FW tank....there's no need to do that in SW. You're live rock should provide all the amonia needed since it was uncured. Like GB said, the die off will create the amonia you need.

Ocellaris
07-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Should I stop all water changes and filter changes then?

I was just worried that the ammonia would be so high that it would kill some of the growth that could occur.

gem
07-08-2008, 12:55 AM
If you have nothing but LR in the tank, all I would be doing is top offs at this point. Don't worry about what's on the lr.....it will grow!

Ocellaris
07-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Okay, thanks. Will start doing that. er...stop I mean.