PDA

View Full Version : saltwater books....

NikkiGeezy
07-07-2008, 09:37 PM
I am planning on starting a 55g saltwater fish only tank. I read that one of the first things you should do is buy a really good book. I am new to the whole forum thing. I tried to see if someone was looking for the same thing I was. I am looking for a saltwater for dummies type book. I have read something things on the internet. They talk about tools they use, but I have no idea what these tools are. Or they use names for things, talking about them like I should know what it is or how to use it. Pictures would be nice too. I am a seeing learner. A good video would be really nice also. Thank you...:c10:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Recommendations

The New Marine Aquarium - Michael Paletta IMO, the best and most comprehensive tome available for the beginner.

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist - Robert Fenner

The Pocket Guide to Marine Fishes - Scott Michael

Ultimate Marine Aquariums - Michael Paletta

EDIT: I should add, that some of the above books are also the recommendations of some of the top marine hobbyists in the country.

Ocellaris
07-07-2008, 11:20 PM
I am doing the same thing you are doing right now, but curing my live rock as of now. I have about 8 major (very complete and detailed) salt water books and many more I've gone through many times. I say buy them off ebay or used in general if you can. Some of the ones that I bought for 10 or 15 bucks costs up to 40 bucks brand new.

I think since you are getting started, you should start of with just two major books.

First one already being said. The New Marine Aquarium. Brand new that book is about 20 bucks and is a great.
http://www.aquatics-direct.co.uk/images/products/xtra/1715.jpg

This book here is really good also. Note, no two books are alike or will tell you the exact same thing. I have been looking for aquariums books all around and have found some from the 70's and early 80's that conflicts if live rock actually helps a saltwater aquarium or not. Now, we know, but it's interesting to see what they thought just a few years ago.
http://www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk/dbimages/naturalreef.jpg

cocoa_pleco
07-08-2008, 12:28 AM
The New Marine Aquarium - Michael Paletta IMO, the best and most comprehensive tome available for the beginner.

awesome recommendation

NikkiGeezy
07-09-2008, 03:14 AM
thank you so much:fish:

NightFox364
02-10-2014, 04:31 AM
Check YouTube for American Reef channel. I started following Mike Paletta when I first seen him mostly because he was local but after watching found out he had 30+ years in the hobby and made a lot of sense. Just got his book and enjoy reading it.

Cliff
02-10-2014, 11:55 AM
This is a very old thread

It would be better to start a new thread rather than posting in one that is over 5 years old