PDA

View Full Version : Books for beginners

fusfa
12-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Can anyone recommend some good books on fish breeding for beginners?

Thanks in advance thumbs2:

Abbeys_Mom
12-13-2006, 02:05 PM
What fish are you planning on breeding?

fusfa
12-13-2006, 02:08 PM
I dont know its more fore reference atm. What would you suggest as a good "starter fish" for someone new to breeding?

Abbeys_Mom
12-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Guppies are live bearers and will do it on there own, same with mollies, platties, swords, and endler's livebearers. Other fish that are easy to breed, but hard to keep are Kribensis, convicts, angels, and most other cichlids. I would start with the fore mentioned ones though if you are just starting out. Any breeding can take up a lot of space. It's also a good idea to have an arrangement with your LFS so you have somewhere to take you fish when you have too many.

Fishguy2727
12-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Most of the easy to breed ones are overflowing most LFS's tanks, so most may have to end up as food for something else. Barron's has a good bood on breeding aquarium fish. I woudl get that one and a book on whatever you decide to try and breed. What is your tap water's pH? This needs to be taken into consideration when determining what fish will thrive in your water.

fusfa
12-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Most of the easy to breed ones are overflowing most LFS's tanks, so most may have to end up as food for something else. Barron's has a good bood on breeding aquarium fish. I woudl get that one and a book on whatever you decide to try and breed. What is your tap water's pH? This needs to be taken into consideration when determining what fish will thrive in your water.

I dnt actually have a tank atm am purely researching atm.

Fishguy2727
12-13-2006, 07:47 PM
What size tanks could you deal with? Take a water sample from your tap and leave it out for a few days. Then take that and a fresh sample to your LFS and see what the pH of each is. This will let you know what type of water you are dealing with.

Lady Hobbs
12-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Let me suggest the Free e-book that is on the menu in the left hand column. It may take a moment to load up with a slow dial-up but there's very good information right there without spending a penny.

jeffs99dime
12-13-2006, 08:22 PM
yeah, hobbs has it right on the money! the e-book

fusfa
12-14-2006, 09:12 AM
:thumb: yeah i downloaded it cheers. good source of info

jman
12-15-2006, 03:19 AM
you should check search engine sites and check to see what fish you lile and research how to breed them.

jman
12-15-2006, 03:28 AM
Can anyone recommend some good books on fish breeding for beginners?

Thanks in advance thumbs2:

also at the LFS around here they have racks of neat books for all types of stuff. If you need to just look for a fact you dont even have to buy a book you can look through them.