PDA

View Full Version : Shy red bellies

Shmitdawg
12-13-2006, 07:10 AM
I have a 55gal tank with 4 2in redbellies. They freak out when i turn the light one or walk up to the tank. I mean slam up against the glass and gravel kind of action. This cant be normal. Ph is good temp is good and idont have over crowding. Oh ya when i walk away they are resume their normal state. I even have the tank i a high traffic area . Any suggestions?

Fishguy2727
12-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Most of the small ones are very skittish from what I have seen. The D.C. aquarium has some and for months had to keep the lighting low and couldn't feed them for the public because they were so skittish. Keep the lighting low, put something on the sides of the tanks so they can see where the glass is, and give it time.

jman
12-15-2006, 01:57 AM
They are shy in the beginning i used to have 7 of them and they took about a month and half to get used to light being changed by you like your another-God and they also took more time because i wasn't in my room in front of them they probably think your going to hurt them and the light just frightens them everyones fish may have done this, after they cut the light on.

Chrona
02-01-2007, 05:42 PM
If your light fixture is not too heavy, try lifting it up a foot or so before turning it on, and then slowly moving it down onto the lid. This really only works for strip lights, or course. I used to do this for a few shy fish because they did the same thing and I was worried they would get a cut or something.

Nautilus291
02-01-2007, 08:34 PM
I new someone that had one that wouldnt eat untill he left the room.