PDA

View Full Version : High nitrates and cloudy water... HELP

phishy
12-13-2006, 03:47 AM
I have a 125 gallon aquarium and for the last three weeks the water has been cloudy and despite my efforts, the nitrate level is high. The tank has been established for 6 years with two emperor 400's with ammochips.

Originally, I had a 12" oscar and a large silverdollar. About a month and a half ago I added two tinfoil red tailed barbs, a jack dempsey, a parrotfish, and a sevrum. The new fish had been in the tank for about two weeks.

I was gone for a week on vacation. While I was gone, apparently the tank cycled because on my return the tank had an odor, my ammonia levels were 0. My nitrites level was .25 and my nitrate levels were extremely high. The colors on the card are so close together I can't tell between 40 and 160 ppm... they are all red.

I started doing large water changes daily and within two days my nitrites down to 0. But ever since then the water has been cloudy. I have added a third filter.. an Eheim 2028 which has a been running a week and a half. It has 4 liters of Eheim Substrat Pro and 1 liter of Ehfimech filter media. I continued doing 30% water changes every other day for approximately a week. But I can't get my nitrates down below 40ppm and can't get rid of the cloudy water.

Last week I did no water changes and the water got clearer each day but even after a week it was still somewhat hazy. I have tested my tap water and it has 0 nitrates. Any suggestions/ideas??

jeffs99dime
12-13-2006, 04:01 AM
what is your phosphate level? do you have a large amount of algae? is this aquarium planted ? it is very common for nitrates to rise in an established tank. high phosphate levels can "haze" the water. also do you clean the gravel? how often?

phishy
12-13-2006, 04:07 AM
I don't have a phosphate test kit. I have planned on getting one because that thought has crossed my mind but I thought that large water changes would also lower phosphates. It's not a planted aquarium and it has quite a bit of brown algae. I cleaned all the glass Saturday night and there is a noticeable amount tonight. I've done 30% water changes every day this week. I have a python cleaning system and I do vacuum my gravel very thoroughly. Do you think that could be a problem?

Cichlid_Man
12-14-2006, 11:09 AM
You need to remove the ammo chips.

They disguise ammonia, not rid the water of it. I am not sure, but they may even elevate nitrate levels. Don't know.
You could very well have ammonia levels in that tank and not know it.
Do a 30 - 50% water change and remove the ammo chips. If you have done these water changes already that's good!
The water is probably a bit cloudy because your tank may be re-cycling.

Change your tank water about 25% twice a week until things settle and test the water daily. I know that's a lot of water, but you need to do this.
Also, when you can, do as Jeffs99dime says and chek the phosphates. He is right on with that!

You may want to cut out the vacuuming for a week or two. The good bacteria needs to re-establish itslef.

I only vacuum monthly, if that.

Scuba Guy
01-21-2007, 11:39 PM
what Phosphate level is tolerable? My tap water has next to none in it. My tank is reading about 1.0 - should I live with that. I fight green algae, but the shrimpers eat a lot of it. The other plants out - compete the algae so it's not a problem, just visible now and then on some of the leaves and of course the glass.

Lady Hobbs
01-22-2007, 01:45 AM
Did the canister replace the HOB filters? You may just need more filtration. I would add the HOB and let them work with the canister.