PDA

View Full Version : New member of the family!

greatXpectations
07-06-2008, 05:33 AM
So, we were in Walmart last night checking out the fishy selection and we got to looking at the bettas...those poor lil fish. "Wally" was the healthiest looking of them all, so we took him home and put him in a large vase that was given to us by brandy's mom. Well, the day before, i scored a 10g on CL for 15 bucks with lid, filter, so its running through the paces right now...im debating transferring Wally to this tank, and giving him a couple friends.

What is your opinion of keeping them in a vase, vs in a tank? If i move him to the tank, what are potential tankmates? The reason i consider the vase is it looks really 'cool' the way its setup, but i dont like the idea of fish being "decorations"

pes142
07-06-2008, 05:38 AM
I would say move it to the tank if possible. I just like seeing bettas swimming along the glass, with the freedom to really turn the jets on if he wants to. He could survive in that vase, but you would not see him at full potential

blu
07-06-2008, 05:39 AM
Nice betta I really like the colors..but I would definately put him in eh tank once its cycled he will be so much more lively in it and he will need to be heated. As for tankmates its best not to have any as they are solitary fish but corys have gotten along with even my aggressive males. For other fish I would stay away from nippy tetras or tetras that are small enough to be considered food and nervous fast moving fish like platys and danios...bettas like peace.......then again it all depends on your individual fish some can be kept with any fish and some will shread anything else alive in its tank. Try putting his vase next to another fish tank and see how he reacts.

greatXpectations
07-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Question...can i put black mollies in with this fish or are they too hyper? If they are, then what can i put in with Wally?

pes142
07-07-2008, 04:57 AM
I have kept a betta with mollies, platies, tetras, and guppies. It really depends on the temperment of your fish. Just because one betta can be kept with a molly does not mean every betta can be kept with a molly. I know this kind of sucks, because it is luck of the draw, but the only way to find out is try. I would not get anything with a fancy tail, as a betta will go after it. Not that mollies have big tails, but i would still stay away from a lyretail molly, just to be safe.

greatXpectations
07-07-2008, 05:42 AM
what about black mollies or redwag platties nipping at the betta? my g/f said she read that somewhere on here but i cant find it...

Gemstone
07-07-2008, 06:41 AM
I would not try mollies...they have more or less the same body shape as bettas..and if there were a male molly it would not take kindly to a betta trying to flirt with a molly lady....although my one betta male was fast friends with a molly...but he is an exception and was in that particular community tank togehter with the guppies from the time he was as big as my pinky nail...

pes142
07-07-2008, 02:54 PM
I would try the platys. I have never had a betta in a tank that didnt have at least 3 platys and i have never had any trouble when it comes to fin nipping. Again, a lot of this comes down to the individual fish, but i think a couple red wag platys would be fine.

Boertjie
07-07-2008, 02:57 PM
I agree with the platies. They should do fine in the tank.

Tolley
07-07-2008, 03:36 PM
i'd get a heater and filter your betta as quick as possible.

pes142
07-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I'd agree with Tolley, that betta needs temperature stability as soon as possible, that vase id most likely fluctuating way too much, putting a lot of stress on the fish.

greatXpectations
07-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Well guys, you'll be happy to know that Wally is in a much warmer, much more spacious environment! He stays by the heater, so im assuming he wants me to warm it up a little more (76 degrees now) thumbs2:

I haven't done much to the tank yet, but im going to load it up with plant life payday and get some darker, more natural looking gravel.

sandy_n
07-08-2008, 06:14 PM
You did a good thing. Wally will be much happier and healthier in a heated filtered tank.

greatXpectations
07-09-2008, 12:24 AM
well, we have done one better...we put wally in the 29 gallon tank with all the tetras as a trial...he seems to really enjoy it. It is heavily planted and there are various hiding spots, but he seems to be fitting in just fine. no chases, etc...yet. If all goes well, then im breaking down his 10g, and soon upgrading to a 55 gallon to replace the 29 gallon. Also planning on a 55 gallon below to house "bubbles" and a couple more gold fish for brandy. That leaves me with three 55 gallon tanks in the house, and the rest will be broken down...fun times!

Gemstone
07-09-2008, 04:20 AM
How on earth do u guys get such nice fotos of your bettas.....mine all seem to be camera shy...cos the minute I am there with the camera they are all over the place or hide away???....

...............and that is a pretty betta u have there..

greatXpectations
07-09-2008, 05:53 AM
i want to get even petter pics...i cant catch him "showing off" or flairing at himself in the reflection...hes incredible!

brandy has a mini DSLR, so i use that for the pictures...its tricky, but you can catch em if your patient.