PDA

View Full Version : Need help

Angila
07-06-2008, 03:33 AM
Ok so my husband and i are going to sign on this house on tuesday it comes with near 3 acres!!! it already has a 65ft long 8ft deep and 15 ft across pond but it hasn't been taken care of in years(by years proably about 10) any ideas on how to get it up and running great? We are so excited just don't know what to do lol. He would like to stock with catfish

JewelsO's
07-29-2008, 04:05 AM
That would be a great plan! My husbands boss had a huge natural pond thats very pretty with all sorts of fish.. Bass, catfish, you name it! We go out there often and fees them pellets for wildfish...Pics please!

Sounguru
07-29-2008, 04:45 AM
Is the pond stream or spring fed?

Is it a natural or is it lined?

Is there anything in it now fish, weeds, cover, etc?

Any type of filter?

And what is the bottom like muddy, rock, or solid clay?

Gemstone
07-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Ok so my husband and i are going to sign on this house on tuesday it comes with near 3 acres!!! it already has a 65ft long 8ft deep and 15 ft across pond but it hasn't been taken care of in years(by years proably about 10) any ideas on how to get it up and running great? We are so excited just don't know what to do lol. He would like to stock with catfish
OK Angela...the first thing you need to do...is after you guys have settled in...to clean out the gunk etc that might be in that pond....so that you can determine the substrate...ahm...check out what the pond is made of...is it concrete...plastic coated.l..etc....and then u check up how the pond is filtered..or even whether there is any kind of filtration system going...then we take it from there..

Quote of the day: Rome was not built in one day...

another favourite...
Baby] steps....

lo\l.....good fishing angela...congrats on the new home

Halelorf
07-29-2008, 11:55 AM
You might want to put some vapor rub or something under your nostrils before you go out to clean the bottom. If i've learned anything from messing around in ponds natural and man-made. Once the gunk builds up it does not smell pretty when you bring it up :hmm3grin2orange:.

richardkania
07-29-2008, 12:42 PM
large ponds take less assistence then small ones, is this pond have a dam? is there any shade? Is it covered w/alge? Is the water clear or murky? Can u see any evidence of a filtering system? Is there any fish in it? Give a little detail.