PDA

View Full Version : what is my goldfish doing?

brandyboo
07-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Ever since we've brought Bubble's home she has acted rather strange. We often find her face down in the gravel like this:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/greatxpectations/fishies/DSCF7011.jpg

She stays like that for a little while, but will swim away if you come up to the glass. She acts just fine for a little bit and then plops right back down. It's rather scary looking when she does it. It freaks us out.

I read about swim bladder problems in goldies so we give her peas, when she seems to be doing it alot. I feed her Tetra Fin Goldfish Flakes. I'm wondering if they stop her up too much.

We've the tested the waters and every parameter is on target. any help would be appreciated.

smaug
07-05-2008, 06:30 PM
I looked at your profile and I see that fish is in a 10gal.I realize that its just the one fish in there but you are already overstocked.A lionhead needs at least a 25 gal just for itself.40 would be better.Goldys produce much more waste then tropicals and you will find the water going nasty real quick.Im not sure what exactly is wrong with your fish at the moment but I can tell you he wont do well in there.What are the readings of your water,ph,nitrites,nitrates ammonia,what type test did you use,liquid or dip strips?Was your tank cycled properly?

Halelorf
07-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Besides what Smaug said I don't know what's wrong with it. Every goldfish will have it's own personality and that could just be one of yours interesting actions. Could also be lonely as goldfish like to school. With a 40 gallon tank your could get a friend for your fish or maybe two if you have strong filtration and a solid water change schedule. I think a bigger tank would work much better for you.

gm72
07-05-2008, 06:55 PM
A few things. We have established that a 10 gallon tank is an unacceptable tank size for that fish. No need to beat it to death.

The tetra fin flakes are not a particularly high quality food. I would instead recommend hikari or NLS foods.

You say that your water parameters are "on target." Can you be more specific? What exactly are the ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte readings?

brandyboo
07-05-2008, 07:35 PM
I know the tank is too small. It's a temporary home for her right now. I'm getting her a 29 or 55 gallon tank soon.

The levels are all normal. Ammonia and nitrite was zero. Nitrate was zero also, I believe. We just did a water change.

I'm going to switch her food this week when I get paid.

She seems happy, so maybe it is just a little character trait. It can be kinda of scary though.

thanks everyone!

gm72
07-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Not sure about character trait vs. potential illness, but since there are no other overt signs and symptoms I think upgrading foods is a good course of action. Very, very happy to hear you are getting the fish a more appropriate home. Great move!

Billythefish
07-05-2008, 07:59 PM
How did you fill the tank? How long have you had the tank setup and did you add the fish straight away? What filter have you got? Have you got a air stone on the go ?, and just a wild shot in the dark whats the temp?

gm72
07-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Great questions!

greatXpectations
07-05-2008, 08:18 PM
PH - 7.4
Room temp water = 71 degrees
Aqua clear filter that came with the tank (it was a kit)
there is an airstone, but that is a recent addition

Original cycle consisted of used gravel, stability. "bubbles" did go in the day i started the tank, but has only recently started showing these symptoms...if they are even symptoms and not just a lonely fish.

This tank has been running for a while now and i keep up on the water changes. All of the vital water parameters are perfect. I use Prime.

There used to be a KOI in there with her, also small, and they seemed to be friends. One day, we woke up and he didn't. I checked all water levels immediately and it was fine. PH was a little low (7.0), but that was it. Also had a Pearl Scale in there (very small) and he lasted less than a day in the tank.

The only thing i can think of is that the gravel was contaminated because everything else was new. The gravel came with my 29 gallon when a friend upgraded his tank to a 55. His fish, oscars, were, and still are healthy.

I have three gold snails in the tank working on the algae that slowly builds, but they dont seem to do much. They seem to keep to themselves...

Im saving up for a 55 gallon for my planted Tetra tank, and when I do, bubbles goes in the 29 gallon.

How did you fill the tank? HoPHw long have you had the tank setup and did you add the fish straight away? What filter have you got? Have you got a air stone on the go ?, and just a wild shot in the dark whats the temp?

Fishead
07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Wow... there is so much to say about what should not have been put in that tank that was! Goldfish are not the brightest fish, and tend to show in their personality. I would guess that you have a lonely bored fish that needs more space. First indication water quality has "tanked" is the snails will die. Just something to look for. But if you are keeping good house keeping that shouldn't be a problem.

gm72
07-05-2008, 08:33 PM
This tank has been running for a while now and i keep up on the water changes.

To clarify, how long has the tank been running and what specifically is your water changing schedule? I honestly don't mean to be beating this to death, but with a greater amount of specificity maybe we can pinpoint what is going on right now.

Billythefish
07-05-2008, 08:51 PM
A kio in a 10g wow thats a first on me!,
All i can think of is at some point your goldy may have been starved of oxygen and now has brain damage..... That may sound like a rant of a mad man but ive see ghost carp doing the same thing after being baged for to long.

brandyboo
07-05-2008, 08:59 PM
To clarify, how long has the tank been running and what specifically is your water changing schedule? I honestly don't mean to be beating this to death, but with a greater amount of specificity maybe we can pinpoint what is going on right now.

Before i knew anything about fish, and who was who, the LFS guy sold me a KOI, black moor, and then the goldfish. said space wasnt an issue. yea...i know better now. i forgot about the moor, but it didnt last long either.

The tank as been running for a couple months now. I have two other tanks (see sig) and they are running flawlessly...change the water about 10-14 days
Ammo and Nitrite are always 0

EDIT: This is actually greatxpectations, posting under brandyboo's. oops!

gm72
07-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Glad to hear you know better now. Hey look, we all make mistakes. The good people are those who can learn from them and act to correct them. Great stuff here.

smaug
07-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Thats great news about the bigger tank in his future.Send us pics when you get it set up.

greatXpectations
07-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Glad to hear you know better now. Hey look, we all make mistakes. The good people are those who can learn from them and act to correct them. Great stuff here.

So back to the original question...why is this fish playing dead?

gm72
07-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Stress most likely. Could also be a disease process such as swim bladder.

greatXpectations
07-05-2008, 10:04 PM
well she got peas tonight - she inhaled em as always...and were going to stick with peas for the next couple days and see if she perks up again...she doesn't seem "depressed" but does seem to be struggling

thanks for everyones help!

Mvjnz
07-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Daily water changes for the next week or so could also help. Large amounts of clean water will fix almost anything.

And let me also point out that nitrates should never be at 0 in a cycled tank.

greatXpectations
07-08-2008, 02:15 AM
sooooooo...

i swapped out the lids on my 10 gallon tanks because i wanted the fluorescent on the betta tank so bubbles got the two bulb lid...the bulbs heat have warmed up her water to a whopping 82 degrees, but get this...shes more active than ever! We also gave her a two day pea diet, then switched to Hakari Bio Gold...

Shes not playing dead anymore...whaaaaaateva works!

gm72
07-09-2008, 12:15 AM
More active possibly due to more stress with the temp increase.

pes142
07-09-2008, 04:46 AM
Maybe we are all wrong? It might be searching for buried pirate treasure!:ezpi_wink1:

greatXpectations
07-09-2008, 05:50 AM
Maybe we are all wrong? It might be searching for buried pirate treasure!:ezpi_wink1:
haha! shes/he, who knows...is doing much better the last couple of days...im hoping to upgrade my tank soon and get her into a larger one

donvichu
07-09-2008, 02:21 PM

Hope it doesnt end up with the curse of the black pearl :ezpi_wink1:

Jokes apart good to hear everything is fine thumbs2: ..and happy your goldie is moving into a bigger tank soon thumbs2:

graceluvsplatys
07-14-2008, 04:01 AM
well i am glad to hear things have worked out! good luck to bubbles, and her soon to be friends blossom and buttercup! ( actually i dont know if the friends you are getting for her later when you upgrade the tank are blossom and buttercup, but... well... )

brandyboo
07-14-2008, 04:23 AM
well i am glad to hear things have worked out! good luck to bubbles, and her soon to be friends blossom and buttercup! ( actually i dont know if the friends you are getting for her later when you upgrade the tank are blossom and buttercup, but... well... )

Thanks! :)

Hadn't really thought of any tank mates names yet, but those two sure will be contenders. Not to sure what my boyfriend will think of them. He's not the biggest powerfpuff girls fan. ha ha.

greatXpectations
07-14-2008, 10:15 PM
This has to be the laziest fish ever. All she does is sit in one spot all day, nose down in the gravel. She only swims around when we come up to the tank, or feeding time.

Blubb... blubb...