PDA

View Full Version : Would they be fine?

squirt_12
07-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Would my fiddler crabs, along with the many feeder guppies, be fine at around 70-76F? In that range??
Thanks!

speakerpedal
07-09-2008, 08:38 AM
I've seen many commercial pet stores say fiddlers aren't good to mix with small fish, but then again...you can't really trust those places. at all. That's why we all ask here! =).

Anyway, last time I checked, fiddlers are scavengers. Supposedly they're
brackish water dwellers, but I've kept fiddlers before multiple times and they've
lived quite well in freshwater with small tetras. On the other hand, you might
be better off following the brackish rule since that's the condition of their natural habitat and if not they may not last long. I probably just got lucky.

One thing you should know is they're really good escape artists,
and multiple times I would never see the crabs in the tank because they would sneak up into the filter and scavenge off of it, so you might want to make sure you cover your tank well.

That's my experience, but I'm sure people here are more learned regarding those little invertibrae.

squirt_12
07-09-2008, 12:15 PM
I've seen many commercial pet stores say fiddlers aren't good to mix with small fish, but then again...you can't really trust those places. at all. That's why we all ask here! =).

Anyway, last time I checked, fiddlers are scavengers. Supposedly they're
brackish water dwellers, but I've kept fiddlers before multiple times and they've
lived quite well in freshwater with small tetras. On the other hand, you might
be better off following the brackish rule since that's the condition of their natural habitat and if not they may not last long. I probably just got lucky.

One thing you should know is they're really good escape artists,
and multiple times I would never see the crabs in the tank because they would sneak up into the filter and scavenge off of it, so you might want to make sure you cover your tank well.

That's my experience, but I'm sure people here are more learned regarding those little invertibrae.
Thanks! I already have them in a brackish tank and the fish are feeder guppies, I started out with about 6 and they just multiplied. I don't care if they get eaten. Fiddlers shouldn't bein freshwater though. They wont live as near as long as they can. I have a tight fitting lid already.

I have met all of their needs about, well whenever I got them, but I was just wondering the temperature. But I will just leave it at 75-77F.

Dave66
07-09-2008, 12:52 PM
squirt,

Give the crabs a place to haul out of the water, like a large cork or a stack of flat rocks at one end of the tank. They do come out to look for food occasionally on land.

Dave

speakerpedal
07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks! I already have them in a brackish tank and the fish are feeder guppies, I started out with about 6 and they just multiplied. I don't care if they get eaten. Fiddlers shouldn't bein freshwater though. They wont live as near as long as they can. I have a tight fitting lid already.

I have met all of their needs about, well whenever I got them, but I was just wondering the temperature. But I will just leave it at 75-77F.

As far as temperature goes, you should be ok. The ones I've kept have been well of in that range. But Dave66 is right, you also need something for them to chill on, which is probably the reason mine kept making their way into the filter.

squirt_12
07-10-2008, 02:29 AM
squirt,

Give the crabs a place to haul out of the water, like a large cork or a stack of flat rocks at one end of the tank. They do come out to look for food occasionally on land.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I have the tank with about 1/4 land and 3/4 water. I have more fish than crabs in there so I need the more water space. In the water I also have a few fake plants and ornaments (rocks) for them to be able to climb out of the water and get air.

christyles
09-05-2008, 03:50 AM
I've had Ruby red minnows and just river minnows in with my crabs. Both were fine until eventually the ruby's got eaten... long story.

I have 7 river minnows in there now for about month, and they're going strong in the brackish water. Crabs don't seem to mind them. Also one golden mystery snail in the tank.

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2008, 03:52 AM
threads from july, but good info