PDA

View Full Version : iridescent shark (Pangasius hypophthalmus).

funnyfish
07-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Ok so I am very new to this world and adopted a 55 gallon tank with a pair of Angels they are an ok size, 2 cat fish, 1 pelco hes pretty big, 1 grouami, and 1 iridescent shark. I did not know that is what he was until I posted pics on the beg. post and someone there told me what he was and when I looked it up I found him....
I have added some live plants 2 tiger barbs, 1 neddle nose, 1 black ghost knife
The grouami killed the ghost knife the 1st night we had it everyone else seems to be doing very well so far
My questions is what should I do about the iridescent shark I had alot of diff of opinion in the other post some think I should take him to LFS I now I dont want to do that because I really like him alot and feel I have kinda bonded with him and I dont want him to be killed by someone dumber than me. At least for now I am keeping him happy and alive buy the way he is close to a foot long and close to a year old.

Also my water is at about 82 - 84 and my WP have chanaged since yesteray and I expected that and know I need a pratial water change but now they are GH 180 KH 240 PH 7.0 - 7.5 NO 2 0 and my NO 3 is close to 20
Now I know these are off and I will do a partial change tomorrow do you all have any sugg for me...
Thank you all so far I am very happy I have found this place everyone has been very helpfull and kind while teaching me alot

Dave66
07-05-2008, 07:05 AM
I quote myself:

"A true giant and all too available in shops are Pangasius hypophthalmus; the Iridescent Shark.
A native of the large waterways of Thailand, Laos, Viet Nam and Kampuchea, Iridescent Sharks are one of the common fishes in pet shops, but very, very few fish keepers have the facilities to keep a school of at least five specimens, for the simple reason they grow very large; more than 50 inches long. And as they are a schooling catfish, an aquarium must be of truly prodigious dimensions to keep the fish properly.
The vast majority of fishkeepers should leave these catfish at the pet store.
Iridescent Sharks are river fish, thus the prospective keeper is obligated to provide a moderate linear current though the tank to mimic the natural environs of the fish. Live plants planted around the back and sides of the tank and large pieces of driftwood will help your Iridescent Sharks feel secure, and can keep them from dashing around madly when frightened. Instead of crashing into the glass and injuring themselves, they can take shelter among the plants and driftwood. A few floating plants can be provided so the Iridescent Sharks can take shelter from the light if they wish to.
Iridescent Sharks are most comfortable and disease resistant in bright, neutral to slightly acid water that's moderately soft to moderately hard. Ideal temps are the mid-70's Fahrenheit; these fish do not do well above 79 degrees. They are very sensitive to high Nitrate levels; under 20 ppm is best, though one can invest in a Nitrate Reactor to keep Nitrate at zero ppm.
Iridescent Sharks are easily fed. They like crustaceans and vegetables. White fish flesh can be fed as a treat, as can earthworms. A variety of high-grade pelleted foods can be staple; get at least one that's primarily a meaty food, and one that's designed for herbivores; those that have large amounts of kelp and Spirulina.
As larger fish will happily eat smaller ones when the occasion presents itself, tankmates for a school of Iridescent Sharks must be chosen with great, great care. Despite their size, Iridescent Sharks are very easily intimidated, so finding fish that grow too large to eat and won't bother the catfish can be a challenge.
Iridescent Sharks can live for more than 20 years properly kept."

As you see your iridescent shark grows a whole lot more than a foot long; in fact, his growth is most likely stunted from being in a far too small aquarium. They are also schooling fish, so you are doing a serious disservice to the fish on two levels.

I DEEPLY encourage you to start researching the fish you are interested in as to their adult size, compatibility and other needs BEFORE buying them. Millions of fish are doomed to truncated, miserable lives because people do not do their research first.
My extensive book list is available in my signature. EVERY experienced fish keeper I know, and I know a great many of them internationally, has a personal aquarium library of reference and instructional books. I'd strongly suggest buying Axelrod's Aquarium Atlas. It has over 3,000 species in it. It won't tell you how to care for any of them, but at the very least it'll tell you how large the fish will get.

Dave

funnyfish
07-05-2008, 07:26 AM
I quote myself:

"A true giant and all too available in shops are Pangasius hypophthalmus; the Iridescent Shark.
A native of the large waterways of Thailand, Laos, Viet Nam and Kampuchea, Iridescent Sharks are one of the common fishes in pet shops, but very, very few fish keepers have the facilities to keep a school of at least five specimens, for the simple reason they grow very large; more than 50 inches long. And as they are a schooling catfish, an aquarium must be of truly prodigious dimensions to keep the fish properly.
The vast majority of fishkeepers should leave these catfish at the pet store.
Iridescent Sharks are river fish, thus the prospective keeper is obligated to provide a moderate linear current though the tank to mimic the natural environs of the fish. Live plants planted around the back and sides of the tank and large pieces of driftwood will help your Iridescent Sharks feel secure, and can keep them from dashing around madly when frightened. Instead of crashing into the glass and injuring themselves, they can take shelter among the plants and driftwood. A few floating plants can be provided so the Iridescent Sharks can take shelter from the light if they wish to.
Iridescent Sharks are most comfortable and disease resistant in bright, neutral to slightly acid water that's moderately soft to moderately hard. Ideal temps are the mid-70's Fahrenheit; these fish do not do well above 79 degrees. They are very sensitive to high Nitrate levels; under 20 ppm is best, though one can invest in a Nitrate Reactor to keep Nitrate at zero ppm.
Iridescent Sharks are easily fed. They like crustaceans and vegetables. White fish flesh can be fed as a treat, as can earthworms. A variety of high-grade pelleted foods can be staple; get at least one that's primarily a meaty food, and one that's designed for herbivores; those that have large amounts of kelp and Spirulina.
As larger fish will happily eat smaller ones when the occasion presents itself, tankmates for a school of Iridescent Sharks must be chosen with great, great care. Despite their size, Iridescent Sharks are very easily intimidated, so finding fish that grow too large to eat and won't bother the catfish can be a challenge.
Iridescent Sharks can live for more than 20 years properly kept."

As you see your iridescent shark grows a whole lot more than a foot long; in fact, his growth is most likely stunted from being in a far too small aquarium. They are also schooling fish, so you are doing a serious disservice to the fish on two levels.

I DEEPLY encourage you to start researching the fish you are interested in as to their adult size, compatibility and other needs BEFORE buying them. Millions of fish are doomed to truncated, miserable lives because people do not do their research first.
My extensive book list is available in my signature. EVERY experienced fish keeper I know, and I know a great many of them internationally, has a personal aquarium library of reference and instructional books. I'd strongly suggest buying Axelrod's Aquarium Atlas. It has over 3,000 species in it. It won't tell you how to care for any of them, but at the very least it'll tell you how large the fish will get.

Dave

I thank you very much for your info and time but I want to make it very clear I did not go buy him I took him and his tank mates I know I should have done more reserch but I really did think I was doing the right thing by taking this tank for someone that no longer wanted it and giving it a better hom and good care and so far I have been resreaching and thats how I found out what he is. I do not have any plans on keeping him at all I just want advice on what the best thing to do with him without having him killed or given to someone that wont care for him at all. I also am on here asking for help so I do not do more damage and do the best job I can. I know that most people on here have not judged me but insted have told me that everyone makes mistakes. I want to know what my mistakes are so I can learn and correct them. Once again I thank you for your info and time but please understand I am trying to do my best for all of them.

angelcakes
07-05-2008, 07:28 AM
funnyfish i think dave has answered your question,best advice to give you now would be to have a look in daves signature and look at the books as suggested,and has to catfish this is just for future reference theres a good site which is popular here called planet catfish(link below) and this does give you alot of help,ps everybody does understand youre doing your best i know because i saw your other threadthumbs2:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/

funnyfish
07-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Thank you angelcakes and Dave I am very grateful for all the info and I will be reading tomorrow I just wanted to explain where I am coming from and yes I know I made a huge mistake not knowing all I was getting into with this at all and I will admit I made that mistake and I just really want the help and all the info I can get from you all that know so much so I can right my wrongs and be a very good fish mommy from here. If I came off a bit snappy I really didnt mean it I am just tired and worried so Dave I am sorry I was just explaining my self

Dave66
07-05-2008, 07:48 AM
If you've the funds and the space, a stop-gap measure would be a 200 gallon tank for the iridescent shark. Down the road, of course, he'll need other members of his species and a tank in the thousands of gallons, something with a footprint at least 12x6. If you want to keep him and I know you do, that's your only option I'm afraid.
I am truly sorry if I offended you. I realize you didn't buy the fish, but it's always infuriated me that people buy fish they have no hope of keeping properly.
I'm a bit concerned about your purchase of a needle-nose. If it's the species I think it is, they are highly predatory, and your tiger barbs' lives will soon be forfeit. Is this (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/freshwatergarfish2.php) your boy?
Just FYI, the pleco will top out at 12 inches to two feet, depending on which species of 'common pleco' it is.
You really do need a larger tank, as the 55 is more than a bit overstocked. The Iridescent Shark notwithstanding, you do have some fish that will get a foot or more long, so something in the 125 to 200 gallon range would really help you out.
I'll help you all I can to de-tangle your tank, but you really need to invest in some books before anything else. The four volume Baensch Aquarium Atlas series is really the very first you should buy. Expensive, I know, but one read through and your aquarium knowledge will jump at least 10 fold, if not more.

Dave

funnyfish
07-05-2008, 08:04 AM
If you've the funds and the space, a stop-gap measure would be a 200 gallon tank for the iridescent shark. Down the road, of course, he'll need other members of his species and a tank in the thousands of gallons, something with a footprint at least 12x6. If you want to keep him and I know you do, that's your only option I'm afraid.
I am truly sorry if I offended you. I realize you didn't buy the fish, but it's always infuriated me that people buy fish they have no hope of keeping properly.
I'm a bit concerned about your purchase of a needle-nose. If it's the species I think it is, they are highly predatory, and your tiger barbs' lives will soon be forfeit. Is this (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/freshwatergarfish2.php) your boy?
Just FYI, the pleco will top out at 12 inches to two feet, depending on which species of 'common pleco' it is.
You really do need a larger tank, as the 55 is more than a bit overstocked. The Iridescent Shark notwithstanding, you do have some fish that will get a foot or more long, so something in the 125 to 200 gallon range would really help you out.
I'll help you all I can to de-tangle your tank, but you really need to invest in some books before anything else. The four volume Baensch Aquarium Atlas series is really the very first you should buy. Expensive, I know, but one read through and your aquarium knowledge will jump at least 10 fold, if not more.

Dave
I am going to order that book this weekend I also am going to take the needle nose back and the tiger barbs LFS I bought them I also want to see if they or another one will take the angels and cat fish and kissing g I would like to keep the pelco but not sure if I should even keep him or if I should give him up also I like I said i got 4 new fish and 1 didnt make it so I only added 3 the rest came with the tank as for my little shark friend yes I would love to keep him because I really like him and in some silly way I think he likes me he follows me in the tank and if I sit in the chair he sits real close to where I am at. Well like I was saying I know I cant not keep him and just want to do what is very best for him. I know you didnt mean anything by it and you are trying to help and everyone has so far I just am very worried and think I have started a huge thing and I know I have alot of work ahead and feel very bad for all the fish

funnyfish
07-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Dave I am sorry i didnt add that I am not able space wise to upgrade to a bigger tank right now so with all the other info I am hoping we can get an idea of what I need to do the reasonI am dead set against taking the shark to the LFS is I was told on here he will most likely be resold to someone that wont take care of him and maybe a smaller tank

funnyfish
07-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Just to let you all know all the fish are gone we called and drove all around today and made sure that they all are going to be well cared for. We are looking into them now and starting a fresh tank with fish we want and know about and can care for the right way thank you all for your help