PDA

View Full Version : Will they eat my tetras?

PUNISHER VETTE
07-04-2008, 03:41 PM
i've got all small fish(neons, bloodfin, rummynose, ottos) I heard they were a predatory fish and like to go after smaller fish. since they are in the cichlid family....

Also how big do they usually get? would they go along with my other fish or not?

I guess since discus are pretty much out of the question due to price these might be the only chance for a somewhat nicer big fish.

Red
07-04-2008, 03:49 PM
wait im a bit confused what fish are you talking about?

Lady Hobbs
07-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I take it you are referring to angels? Yes, they will eat the neons but not those that are larger.

PUNISHER VETTE
07-04-2008, 03:53 PM
I take it you are referring to angels? Yes, they will eat the neons but not those that are larger.

yeah i'm talking about angelfish.

Would it even be smart putting one in my tank? I guess i could save up for a discus or two but if something were to happen to one i would feel really bad. the cheapest discus being $30ish but the cheapest angel being about $5

Although i haven't lost a fish in a while so i think i've finally gotten things under control.

sushant
07-04-2008, 06:58 PM
angels will eat anythin which is small enough to get into its mouth.

smaug
07-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Angels do not always eat smaller fish.In PVs case and in anyone elses that has preexisting small fish.Put in small juvenile angels and let them grow up with the smaller tank mates.The angel will not eat them even when he gets big enough because he never associated them with food.Put a small fish in after you have an adult angel and it will be different.I have an angel in my tank thats as big as my hand,there are numerous fish under 3/4" as tank mates.He hasnt had any for lunch.Try an angel pv,get 4-6 juvys [under an inch].If you have your water straightened out they are perfect for you.

Lady Hobbs
07-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Darn Smaug. I wish you'd have come over here and had a chat with my angels when I had them. I had 4 that ate neons and 5 that didn't. They didn't eat them, just bit them in half. And those were my domestics. My wilds didn't touch them. Stupid fish!

cocoa_pleco
07-04-2008, 09:28 PM
ive had luck with angels and neons too, my old 55g planted had 10 black neons and a large sunset angel with 2 small marble angels and all left my small fish alone

smaug
07-04-2008, 09:40 PM
I never lost a small fish to an angel if the small fish were there first.I stupidly thought once that my angel was a veg and bought 10 feeder neons for him once!He ate 3 of them before they were all out of the bag:c11: Keep in mind at the same time this little picnic of his was happening there were 11 glo lights that were the same size swimming thoughtlessly around him and he never so much as made a threatening move towards them.I have heard many storys just like this one.Its like they dont want to eat there little buddys.

Lady Hobbs
07-04-2008, 10:12 PM
All this angelfish talk has got me thinking of getting some again. :) Next time I won't get 9 !!

smaug
07-04-2008, 11:32 PM
I dont think Ill get another one when this when leaves me.Ive got my eye on some discus.

shiel85
07-04-2008, 11:50 PM
I have had Angel's and Tetra's in the same tank. They grew up together. Sometimes I ponder if possible the Angel would eat his little bro. Then I come to my senses and see how quickly the tetra can maneuver compared to the angel. So maybe a lot of maneuver room is the key...

smaug
07-04-2008, 11:55 PM
I have had Angel's and Tetra's in the same tank. They grew up together. Sometimes I ponder if possible the Angel would eat his little bro. Then I come to my senses and see how quickly the tetra can maneuver compared to the angel. So maybe a lot of maneuver room is the key...
Thats part of it,but if the angels wanted him for a snack it would happen at the angels leisure.They are fantastic stalker and ambushers.Growing up together is the key.

PUNISHER VETTE
07-05-2008, 04:24 AM
Are there different/smaller varieties of angelfish that i should look for? No matter what it's going to be completely black or completely white.

OR would i be better off getting something else? like a rainbow or saving up for a discus or two? I know they are social fish but any more then 2 and i'll be breaking the back...and if they died i'd get pretty mad.

I know the LFS has angels with discus. Maybe i could try 2-3 angels then if they work out put in a discus or two?

smaug
07-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I understand it to be inadvisable to mix discus with angels.Angels get very territorial and are not as laid back as discus.As for colors of angels to get,well thats up to you.If I ever get another angel Id like to have a blushing angel or a koi angel.As for different sizes of angel there are altums which get much bigger,then there are leupoldis which are smaller and less majestic.pterophillums are the ones that are normally seen and kept.There are veiltails which are truly beautiful but supposedly harder to keep, these come in different colors and patterns except the altums and leupoldis which have the wild angels silver with black stripe theme the altums being a bit more on the bronze side.Hope this helps,don't quote me ,I just woke up:c10:

sushant
07-05-2008, 06:57 PM
i'll suggest u to go with the combination of tetras and rainbows.

PUNISHER VETTE
07-05-2008, 07:52 PM
i'll suggest u to go with the combination of tetras and rainbows.

yeah. i was all set to go to the LFS and decided against it. I need to do a little more research and then pick whats best for me. As much as i'd like a angel i just don't think it's the kind of fish for my tank...