PDA

View Full Version : What do you need in order to keep dwarf cichlids?

xximanoobxx
07-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Like the size of the tank?
What type of filtration?
What type of water?
What plants?
What kind of substrate to use?
What other equipments do i need?

I have until next summer to plan this out since i still have to save money and stuff...

Thanks in advance guys!

-John

Incredulous_Ed
07-04-2008, 05:30 AM
Like the size of the tank?
What type of filtration?
What type of water?
What plants?
What kind of substrate to use?
What other equipments do i need?

I have until next summer to plan this out since i still have to save money and stuff...

Thanks in advance guys!

-John
Most any tpe would be good, just make sure it does it's job well, and that the current isnt too strong,

At least a 15 gallon. You culd get away with a 10 if you have the know how.

Soft is better. You can kep some types in moderatley hard water with a pH closer to neutral.

Real ones are better Id say. As for what types I would say any that provide refuge and make sure that the fish cant be seen by others and vice versa.

Sand is good, but Ive used gravel and sand with the same results. It's good to have at least a patch of sand in there, because its fun to watch them sift through it. Leaf litter is good to have as well, because it creates hiding places and lowers the pH.

xximanoobxx
07-04-2008, 05:35 AM
thanks!
How many can i put in a 15 gallon?
And if i have a 55g tank, what type of filter do i use? HOB, undergravel, canister, or both HOB and canister?

Incredulous_Ed
07-04-2008, 05:45 AM
thanks!
How many can i put in a 15 gallon?
And if i have a 55g tank, what type of filter do i use? HOB, undergravel, canister, or both HOB and canister?
You can keep a pair or trio, depending on the species. For the smaller ones, get 1 male and 2 females, and for larger ones, 1 male and one female.

A 55gal would be best suited with a cannister filter, and an HOB filter. The HOB filter would probably be more for circulation but I always like to have more than one filter running, just in case.

xximanoobxx
07-04-2008, 05:51 AM
alright.. thanks a lot!

Incredulous_Ed
07-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Let us know how everything works out.

xximanoobxx
07-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Let us know how everything works out.

Ill let u know in a yr or so... Hahaha i'm just researching but i really want one and if i get the money, i would really get one... I'm pretty broke.. lol

shiel85
07-04-2008, 07:21 AM
From my experience with Bolivian Ram's (10 yrs, same pair) they like to move the gravel with their mouths. I reckon smaller gravel better than large. I don't know about the sand thing but don't doubt they'd like that too. Turned over pots make perfect designated territory's because they do grow territorial with age. :thumb:

xximanoobxx
07-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the info!

Lady Hobbs
07-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I would go as large as you can with that tank. You have one batch of fry and that 15 gallon will be too small.

DCguy
07-04-2008, 04:43 PM
You can get basic info on setting up for dwarf cichlids here
www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php

A 15 gallon tank can be a great size for a single species. You are wise to do your research now and plan for the fish. One thing I would caution you about is not to get your sights set on one specific species. Many of the fish you see in photos are not commonly available. Some are abundant for a year or so then gone while others are rarely ever available. The good thing is that they are all great fish and you really can't go wrong with anything you can get.

DC

xximanoobxx
07-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Hmmm.... Do i need like RO water and stuff???
And How do you lower the pH of the water if my water is like neutral since i read that dwarf cichlids need acidic water???

Thanks in advance!
-John

Lady Hobbs
07-04-2008, 09:31 PM
You can get basic info on setting up for dwarf cichlids here
www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php (http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php)

A 15 gallon tank can be a great size for a single species. You are wise to do your research now and plan for the fish. One thing I would caution you about is not to get your sights set on one specific species. Many of the fish you see in photos are not commonly available. Some are abundant for a year or so then gone while others are rarely ever available. The good thing is that they are all great fish and you really can't go wrong with anything you can get.

DC

Good link and now I have moved away from the thoughts of getting them, as well. My water is too hard here according to that article so will stick with something else. Thank You.

Incredulous_Ed
07-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Hmmm.... Do i need like RO water and stuff???
And How do you lower the pH of the water if my water is like neutral since i read that dwarf cichlids need acidic water???

Thanks in advance!
-John
RO water is really helpful, but you can keep some in neutral and sligtly above water just fine. WHat is you pH?

LosC
07-06-2008, 05:31 AM
Get em on a good varied diet, A high quality pellet along with some meaty foods.

DCguy
07-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Good link and now I have moved away from the thoughts of getting them, as well. My water is too hard here according to that article so will stick with something else

The article was written for someone who intends to breed the fish and refers to the "best" water conditions. There is a lot of variability in the Apistos and there are certainly some species that will do well in harder more alkaline water. In fact, many of the tank raised fish that come available will live quite well in those conditions. However, breeding could be problamatic.

If you have an interest in keeping Apistos I would encourage you to give them a try. Don't try to mess with your water using chemicals. Rather provide clean water and a healthy environment. A. cacatoides is a commonly available species that is very colorful and comes from neutral waters in the wild. The tank raised forms of this fish are very hardy and can handle most water conditions. In my experience, many of the various tank raised A. agassizii "red tail" are also very hardy.

I think you can have a great tank without the soft water as many hobbyists have proven.

DC