PDA

View Full Version : Triops

houie925
07-04-2008, 05:10 AM
I just ordered some triops cancriformis eggs and was wondering if anybody here has experience with any triops species.

troy
07-04-2008, 05:30 AM
I got a triops kit a couple years ago and successfully raised Triops longicaudatus. I'm not sure if their care is similiar but here is how you take care of Triops longicaudatus. The eggs hatch in a few days.They can get several inches long and only live a few months. You can feed them regular fish food. Breeding is fairly easy, but you need the tank to dry out and then add more water for the eggs to hatch.

KingFisher
07-04-2008, 07:23 AM
LOL I just googled triops to see what they were and ended up ordering some too. They look pretty cool.

southerndesert
07-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Be sure not to put them with other critters like shrimp etc. These guys are voracious predators (at least the Arizona species) and will even eat each other if hungry. They are indeed very cool. They live here in rain created pools live till they dry up, it rains again and renews the cycle.

Bill

southerndesert
07-04-2008, 01:16 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/southerndesert/TadpoleShrimp.jpg

Anomaly
07-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Yep, we've had triops before. We bought the eggs for them at Hobby Lobby of all places. Triops are pretty cool, but yes they will eat each other. We had two make it to a decent size before one of them ate the other.

We tried transplanting the lone survivor into one of our tanks, but that didn't go well and it died the next day unfortunately. I think you have to go very slow acclimating these guys if you want to place them in a larger tank.

Triops don't live for more than a few months, but they can get to a good size. If I remember correctly, they'll also lay eggs in the substrate that you can dry out rehatch at a later date if you want.

GEOvanne
07-04-2008, 09:47 PM
gah! i want triops, but they dont sell them out here. you guys are so lucky.
i know so much about them, you'd think i owned some

KingFisher
07-04-2008, 10:05 PM
I just got a message that the place I ordered them from is out of stock and thay will be sent when they get them in again. I hope I don't have to wait too long.

speakerpedal
07-09-2008, 08:50 AM
triops are really fun little things to keep for a few months. Better than sea monkeys imo. I don't think I've heard of triops living in aquarium filtered tanks.
By my understanding, they have a low lifespan because of how the triop life cycle works.

They've evolved to help their species survive through the dry times that fall
upon their tiny little puddle homes. Anyway, as far as Triops go, just follow the directions on the box of your kit any should be ok, just don't expect them to be a long lived pet, because they're not really meant to be. I'm not sure if they really work in aquariums but you could always give it a shot I guess. Anyway, good luck with your triops! and enjoy them! they're really fun to watch. Very active and lively!

Dave-id
07-15-2008, 05:45 AM
KingFisher, they are available online (eBay etc). I've never been able to find them locally, and have never bothered seperating the resulting eggs from the batches I've raised, so whenever I feel like more Triops, I just pay few a bucks for another batch :ezpi_wink1:
P.S Triops rule!
Also, I don't know if the owner of this sight is still selling Triops, but I've heard nothing but good things from the people who have bought them from him http://www.ksvp.org/bb3/