PDA

View Full Version : Sudgested Pleco for a Pictus Cat tank mate

W_Oz
07-03-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm in a toss up right now for a future algae eater in my tank. I have a 55gal and my biggest concern is the Pictus Cat (~5") that lives in it and having a pleco that'll be big enough not to become dinner and still not outgrow the tank. I've been pointed to decidedly non-algae eater types such as the Zebra and Clown pleco and recently stumbled across the "Leopard Frog" pleco.

The tank itself is planted with a few Amazon swords and I'm hoping that the micro swords start taking off here in a month or so along with some Java moss and ferns in the shaded areas of the tank. Tank pH stays around 7.1 and the hardness escapes me at the moment but as I recall tends to be on the hard end of soft.

My other thought was to go with a Flying Fox or Chinese algae eater. So, are there any good plecos out there that'll fit the bill?

KingFisher
07-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Bristlenose plecos are a good choice. They eat algae and stay under 5 inches. You could also try a few otos.

abaigael04
07-03-2008, 10:59 PM
what about a rubbernose L187? IME pictus only eat things under an inch and Aeasymeals. They have never bothered my rubber lips he is on the glass all the time. They only get to 4" max and mine isn't growing very fast, either.

W_Oz
07-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the sugestions, I think tank cleaning duty will be shared by a Rubbernose and a Flying Fox, since the latter will (I'm told) help take care of my hair algae problem that hopped in on my Java Moss.

toddnbecka
07-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Florida flag fish are quite good for eating hair algae, provided they aren't fed other food...