PDA

View Full Version : How long does a tank usually last?

JZ1276
12-12-2006, 09:55 AM
I've been using the same 29 gallon tank now for about 15 yrs. The silicon is starting to come off of the edges. Is it safe to keep using or should I buy a new one?

Neithan
12-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Why not try your hands at redoing the silicone on it? Apparently it's not all that hard as long as you know what you're doing. I don't, so don't ask me! :hmm3grin2orange:

To be serious, it depends a lot on the quality of the tank. An average lifespan of the silicone is roughly 10-15 years, but it can last much longer. If the silicone feels hard in any place, I would suggest getting a new tank asap and start cycling it so you can move your fish in a relaxed pace.

Abbeys_Mom
12-12-2006, 01:17 PM
I have a 55g that was purchased in 1980 and has never been resealed. I also have recently retired a 33g from 1965 that was only resealed twice (once in the last 18 years). They are both well made tanks. The only reason I have retired the 33g is that the glass was going cloudy and a bit scratched up (my Dad used to clean off algae with a razor blade). I cannot vouch for the new tanks. I am sure some are not as well made. Smaller tanks seem to have a shorter life span, just because the glass is thinner. I firmly believe resealing is the way to go. Even if a 15g is less then $20.

jeffs99dime
12-12-2006, 02:39 PM
i would reseal it. it's not hard at all