PDA

View Full Version : feeding a pleco

melbfish20
07-03-2008, 11:33 AM
just wondering what you guys feed your pleco ? I have up unitl know just been feeding nls stable wafers, I have just run out and since I couldn't find any more NLS i got some hikari wafers.Will this do ? he obviously eats some algae form the plant as well but should i pus some vegetable in ?

ladyoutlaw50
07-03-2008, 11:50 AM
I put peas in once a week for everyone, 3 - 4 times a week i put in algea wafers and that is pretty much it -- of course what he gets from the tank itself. Mine seem to be very happy and thriving.

Bassinkorea
07-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Mine eats the tank clean :)
He also loves eating ham and I've just started giving him cucumber which he loves also :)

troy
07-03-2008, 03:38 PM
You could also try zucchini.

dgoulston
07-03-2008, 03:46 PM
ham???? i can feed my pleco ham??

wow, that would be interesting..

i feed wafers at the mo, tried cuecumber but he wasnt interested.

gotta try peas sometime!

donvichu
07-03-2008, 03:49 PM
mine loves pellets,freeze dried blood worms and shrimps and cucmber

Gemstone
07-03-2008, 04:29 PM
my one eats practically anything that's in the tank .....except the fish...of course...

skinni
07-03-2008, 06:28 PM
i feed my pleco Hikari Algae Wafers. 1 per day.

blu
07-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I feed mine romaine lettuce, baby spinach, cucumber, zucchini, and hikari algea wafers..not all at once of course but with my bristle nose there hasnt been any algea in my tank since I got him so I have to feed him myself :)..oh and occasionaly summer squash

abaigael04
07-03-2008, 07:26 PM
my common eats squash, potato, lettuce, hikari algae wafers, LOVES watermelon, canteloupe plus bogwood and anything in the tank... He's a pig.i am still trying new stuff on him because he didnt get i was putting in food till my clown loaches started eating it! Haha.

Bassinkorea
07-04-2008, 06:13 AM
ham???? i can feed my pleco ham??

wow, that would be interesting..

i feed wafers at the mo, tried cuecumber but he wasnt interested.

gotta try peas sometime!

I found this out by accident.......I was giving my crawdads some ham to eat and my pleco (Benny) started to eat/suck on a piece of the ham which I cut into small squares.

shiel85
07-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Mine loves freeze dried bloodworms. I just stick a quarter of a cube to the glass just below water surface. He finds it and devours it within a minute and a half!:thumb:

angelcakes
07-04-2008, 09:29 AM
I found this out by accident.......I was giving my crawdads some ham to eat and my pleco (Benny) started to eat/suck on a piece of the ham which I cut into small squares.
some/most plecs will eat meat the bigger they get the more meat they enjoy,i feed mine cucumber,hikari wafers,frozen bloodworm,lettace,prawns,worms,certain fruits eg watermelon,now and again a little bit of apple,thumbs2:

melbfish20
07-04-2008, 11:15 AM
how do you guys feed your pleco vegetables ? do you just simply put it in the tank.I put some zucchini,cucumber and lettuce in and it just floated up the top and my pleco wouldn't touch it

angelcakes
07-04-2008, 12:37 PM
you can for the cucumber put a spoon in the centre and it holds it down or you can use a suction clip ideal for lettuce and cut up cucumber,or plant weight,:thumb: