PDA

View Full Version : Neolamprologus brichardi

troy
07-03-2008, 03:53 AM
I'm interested in getting Neolamprologus brichardi. I'd like to know min. tank size, water parameters,temperament, feeding, and breeding.

toddnbecka
07-03-2008, 05:00 AM
I had 2 pairs of gracilis an a 38, basically the same fish, though the spawns are a bit smaller than brichardi. The first couple were ony a dozen or so, no big deal. However, when they stated producing 50+ each time the tank became overcrowded. Eventually they started eating the new fry a couple days after they became free-swimming.
Think of brichardi as African convicts. Once they start spawning they'll keep going for 3-4 rounds before taking a break. You're best bet is to feed most of the fry to other fish, because nobody wants or needs a couple hundred of them, even if you have sufficient tanks available to raise the fry.
Otherwise, get 6 to start off, return the extras after a pair is established. Forget tankmates unless you're going to be removing most of the fry. The older fry help protect the younger ones, and they will eventually claim the entire tank as their territory. By that time any other fish will either be killed outright or stressed to death.

troy
07-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Could I keep a single brichardi?

donvichu
07-03-2008, 04:01 PM
brichardi's are always in schooling so its better to keep them in groups..though a 15G tank can be used I suggest atleast between 25 to 35 G species only tank as they tend to pair easily when they are 2" in size..not hard to brred them ..just have one inverted pot and you could be a proud owner of 100 fry easily...but be noticed they are very protective and can eliminate other species during this transition...if you like to keep them in community tank I would suggest atleast a 55G with species like Neolamprologus leleupi, cylindricus; Altolamprologus calvus, compressiceps; Julidochromis marlieri or regani but note they have to be bigger than brichardi and you'll have to put them in tank first to establish their territory then put in brichardi...its a little tricky

troy
07-03-2008, 04:04 PM
How many can you keep in a 15g aquarium?

donvichu
07-03-2008, 04:10 PM
In captive they are known to grow around 6"...so I would suggest 6-8 keeping their breeding habit in mind..A species only tank will work great...In wild they tend to stay in a school of 100000 in a area of 50 meter square area..of course that would be stupid in a captive habitat :22:

toddnbecka
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Personally I'd only keep 1 in a 15 gallon tank. A larger group will end up as a pair, with the odd fish dead w/out anywhere to escape to. Then you'll be looking at a spawning pair in a small tank, which will quickly become overcrowded with growing fry.

troy
07-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Is it possible to sex them?

toddnbecka
07-03-2008, 04:43 PM
It depends on the size/age of the fish, unless you're familiar with venting.

troy
07-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the quick response. By the way, what is venting?

Incredulous_Ed
07-03-2008, 06:04 PM
I was told I could keep three adults in a 20long.

I think as they get older males will have longer fins.

toddnbecka
07-04-2008, 04:15 AM
Venting is netting the fish and looking closely at the vent, males have a different shape than females. Of course, you need to know what to look for...

troy
07-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the help.:thumb: Unfortunately I can't keep brichardis because I've found out my tank is to small.

toddnbecka
07-04-2008, 05:31 AM
Multi's are a good Tang for smaller tanks, though I wouldn't recommend less than a 20 for breeding them. They are colonial like the brichardi, quite protective of their fry, but spawns are much smaller. They're also not inclined to kill everything else in the tank as they take over.